Friday, July 21, 2017

07/21/17 Sailing, gardening and home repairs

The rains this spring resulted in beautiful flowering gardens. I have mostly lilies in bloom right now and they are spectacular. The drought last year led to a loss of several well established plants and a short season of lily blooms. What a difference this year. The gardens are succession gardens, with different blooms from early spring through the late fall. One set back has been the non-optional need for home repairs and the construction is still ongoing. But when it is all done I will have one grand deck and a lovely place for outdoor eating and flowerpots of colorful flowers.

And the sailing has been very good, too.  I love taking Mimì out. A challenge we met was going against wind and tide (again) and the huge wakes created by the motor boats. Even though no wakes are allowed in the area where I sail, apparently no one can read or recognize the no wake signs! One such encounter was fun -  a large incoming swell created by a huge motorboat that we crossed perfectly and it lifted the bow way out of the water! Later as I was coming back into the harbor to pick up my mooring another motorboat sped by me and a very small motorized tender. The men on the tender yelled at the big boat as they had huge swells to manage as well. But this is what we expect when we all share the water. Next time I will try to remember to take my camera and take a few pictures of  Mimì under sail. She is so clean she sparkles! 

And my boys are having a great summer. Shorty has certainly settled in to our pack and sometimes challenges me for alpha status. He won't win. I have let him off leash a few more times, the last time he was very stubborn and did not want to come when called.  Bad doggie! Fionn appears to love to swim and just goes straight into the water and dog paddles. Shorty now goes  up to his shoulders - there is definite competition between Fionn and Shorty. And Gunnarr, he is so sweet. He looks up at me after lapping up some water and smiles as if to say, I will keep my coat clean and dry! They all are loves.

We also have a cardinal nest in the shrub right nest to the house. Am looking forward to seeing the eggs hatch!

Here are a few more new pictures:

They are sent outside to do leglifts and find their spots. They call me so I don't forget them!



Shorty loves sitting outside. He used to sit under the bench, now he sits on top and rests his head on the arm rest.






My Gunnarr. A darling. He is camera shy.











Fionnegan is a big tease. When he gets his bone he takes it and just waits for Gunnarr or Shorty to come close, then he growls at them! He also likes to take a bone outside and challenges Gunnarr to pick it up so he can chase him. This habit has often time resulted in a lot of rough housing and three way dog wrestling.






Here are a few flowers from the garden. A variety of colors and sizes and timing of blooms, so there will be color now for the rest of summer.






























































This is the cardinal nest with the female keeping the eggs warm.






Hope you all are having a good summer!






No comments:

Post a Comment