Sunday, November 12, 2017

11.11.17 Honduras, last day, part 2. Local scenes and kids


A few street scenes. Here is a drive through for local fast food. They also have McDonalds, Burger King, Chili's, Subway, Denny's and Pizza Hut and Dunkin Donuts and Kentucky Fried Chicken and other fast food chicken places.  People everywhere like the taste.






There is a movie theater in the mall next to the hotel.


A lot of overhead wires cross the streets. Hard to take a good picture of the Church.


Back side of the Church. Beautiful dome, Notice the dog on the balcony.



Many local food shops across the street from the hospital. Convenient for the employees and patients. Also a chance to try your hand at the lotto while you wait for your appointment!


A lot of buses serve the city and countryside.






My favorite part of any trip is the kids. It is always fun to interact with them. The gentleman in the picture was also pleased I stopped to take their pictures and show the kids. He was interested in the Blackberry phone (no, I do not have an iPhone). Sadly, I could not understand much of what he was saying. When I was finished and got up to leave, a man behind me said "Thank you" in English. The locals like when the foreigners take an interest in them as people.









They were telling me the little boy in the middle was a "Gringo".





Yes, once you start, everyone wants a picture taken. And they love to see themselves in the picture. I get down on my knees to be level with the kids. Sometimes they stoop down too!
 The baby is darling.




They wanted him to have a solo shot!


And he is calling for his buddy!



Really cute kids.



After this I went to the Diunsa department store for some browsing. The store had just about everything except clothes for adults, or maybe I just didn't find that section. And there was a sale! There was a section for electronics, washers and dryers, household items, baby clothes, bicycles, exercise equipment and of course, Christmas items.  This is where I found the mango ice cream. Yum.

Not really someone who takes pictures of the items in a store, I could not resist taking a picture of the reindeer and polar bear in the tropics.





Yes, those are wearable antlers for all of the parties.




And let's not forget good ole Saint Nick!


A baby blanket for the sport enthusiastic parent.


Lots of bicycles.


And one little one taking it for a test drive. He was really happy riding through the sports section. He has training wheels, but rode this bike like a pro!


Television and other electronic equipment, many with brand names to  which we are accustomed.


After this I went to the shopping mall. Nice place, very similar to those at home. And decorated, too.



This ends my visit to Tegucigalpa, Honduras and Hospital San Felipe. It was a wonderful experience, I am very impressed with the training program for surgical oncologists and the oncologic services offered to the cancer patient.  No where is perfect and it was heartwarming to see what can be done when there are dedicated doctors and nurses and others to make a program work.

Dr. Roberto Jerez, his family, the OR nurses and interns and residents were very welcoming and made for a very enjoyable and rewarding experience. My very best wishes to all of them and I am grateful for their assistance while working at the hospital and also for the personal time they took to show me around  the area and especially for their kindness and hospitality. Mucho gracias.










No comments:

Post a Comment