Sunday, October 7, 2018

10.07.18 Mimì getting ready for a long winter

It is always sad to deliver my little girl Mimì to the marina in preparation for winter storage.  The day was overcast and coo, there was barely a breeze and it was time to take Mimi to Crystal Cove. Mike from CPYC secured her to the starboard side of his Blue Blazer and off we went. Another sailing season over far too soon. Sometimes I think I should live somewhere farther south where the sailing season is a bit longer. It seems I no longer get into a sailing routine when the cold winds come from the North and it is time to call it a summer. I am not a cold weather "frostbite" sailor. Some find it exhilarating, but I know I would be freezing!

In preparation for the transport to CC, I parked at the marina then walked to CPYC. It was a beautiful walk along the harbor. And every day I try to get in my steps, so this was a very pleasant way to exercise.

Boston skyline. Mimì is the little sailboat with the blue cover.

Mimì is off the mooring. Let's hope the mooring lines are easy to pick up next summer! 

Here she is secured to Blue Blazer for the ride to CC. That's Mike behind the wheel. He gave me a go at it and I steered Blue Blazer around the inside harbor as he prepared the lines for transport. It was fun!

Good-bye Cottage Park!

Getting closer to CC marina. The marina is full as very few boats have been drydocked. We always hope for good boating weather for Columbus Day weekend, but this year it was dreary. Boats will be coming out soon for the winter.

Here she is, safely delivered. Tied up in the lane next to the crane, ready to be lifted out of the water and secured on her trailer. Need to return once she is out to make sure the plug is out and the water has drained. We had heavy rains recently and she had a lot of water that I pumped out before we left the mooring.

Mimì is a good looking sailboat. She is not a racing boat but she does a fine day sail in the Boston Harbor and she is a quiet respite for a little rest and escape from the daily grind.

Sails gone. Boom removed. Totally cleaned out.

This is the crane used to lift the boats out of the water.

Boston skyline, now sans Mimì. It does look a little empty without her!

Sailing season over, we turn our attention to the gardens and of course, football. It has been warm with no frost yet, so the tropical plants are still outside and many of the flowering plants are still green. My roses are in bloom and I have a few more tomatoes ripening on the vine. I did plant over 150 tulip bulbs under the watchful eyes of Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty. When I work outside they stay up with me and do not nap, and I am noticing Shorty is becoming a home body! Who would have thought he would want to stay inside the house rather than sit outside! But none of them want to be alone so only a little coaxing was needed to get them from the front yard to the back yard via the atrium.

Here they are all together on a bench. Doesn't last long as the little ones quickly jump off to chase froggies.

And now Shorty has the bench to himself, one of his favorite perches! He is one happy doggie.

We were outside for six hours, a long time for them not to nap. After a very late lunch (or early supper if you prefer) they all were sound asleep. The boys do tend to move around a bit when sleeping. Football is on tv and Shorty is nice and comfy.

Fionnegan is exhausted. He jumped off my lap when we were reading a book and he scraped his lip on the deck. Twice. Apparently he must chase the squirrels along with his brothers. He is mending well and his scrape will heal without incident (I hope!). It appears he has forgotten all about it.

Gunnarr too is exhausted. He was out cold after his lunch and busy day! He is sound asleep on his pillow.

Shorty moved to his dog bed after a while. Maybe he just wanted to be closer to the action of the football game! Shortly after he arrived here last year he snitched all of the stuffed animals that you see here from Fionn and Gunnarr's beds and put them in his bed. He also used to take my socks and shoes and put them here. But he would sleep on a nearby mat rather than his bed. It took a long time for him to make room for himself in his own bed.

And so it was a very busy Fall weekend for all of us. I do hope my readers are doing well. I also am sharing a picture of our friends from Yap - Theo, Honora, Reina and Tommy. They are getting big and I hope to visit them all before they cannot remember me! They are as cute as buttons! They are being home schooled by their Mom Heidi, who really must have her hands full with this brood and their friends. I will be forever grateful to them for their help in getting Shorty to Boston. So is he!

No comments:

Post a Comment