Sunday, April 25, 2021

04.25.2021 Spring Snows!

Spring is here and it is beautiful. Trees, shrubs and flowers are blooming. And it snowed! Yes, it snowed once last week covering all of my daffodils and hyacinths in bloom and it snowed once more this week as well!

But Spring snows do not last and before long the sun was bright and warm and a nice walk along the Charles River in Boston was just what the doctor ordered. The flowering trees are gorgeous, clusters of daffodils line the river edge, the ducks are mating, Canada geese are all over the park and even a pair of swans are swimming on the river. The crews are back rowing and even a few kayaks are in the water. Spring, it is a true feeling of renewal and a fresh start at life. I have often thought the new year should begin in Spring and not the dead of winter - but no one asked me!





Back to snow. It is interesting to observe the behavior of my three boys - Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty. While none of them willingly go outside when it rains, they were delighted to be outside when it snowed - even though they were just as wet as if it was raining. Go figure. So we spent a little time enjoying what we all hope to be the very last snowfall of the season.  Not much accumulation in my neck of the woods, but just enough to bury the daffodils and hyacinths. So I picked a bunch of flowers and now the kitchen has a sweet scent of the hyacinths. I love fresh flowers in the house as well as in the gardens.


Can you find the white daffodil?

Rescued from the cold! Now inside where they are truly enjoyed.

The gardens are now taking shape. Snow melted, warm days and cool nights encourage all flowers and weeds to grow. We are now spending all of our available time outside weeding, thinning overgrown areas, pruning shrubs, mulching beds, and preparing our flower pots for planting. The herbs are already potted and I am looking forward to using them in my future cooking adventures.

And, I decided it is time to get out the bicycle.  Yes, after being in the tool shed for almost 20 years, I thought I would like to ride again. Before sailing and the boys taking all of my free time, I biked many nights after work and every Sunday along the Charles River and the Lexington-Bedford Minuteman bike trail in good weather. Then life changes and we adjust. Bike trails for were dog walks. So when I saw this poor old rusted and tire flattened old buddy of mine, I put the bike in the car (with some difficulty) and took it to the repair shop. Just got it back this week and it does sparkle. And it felt great to ride again. Yes - "it is just like riding a bike" - is an appropriate saying for returning to an old adventure. In just one pedal stroke, I was back in form and loving it. So I will balance nice walks with the boys in the forest and then a bike ride along the bike trails and a sail on Sundays. Gardening will continue in the evenings as the days are getting longer. Yes, it is good to be busy especially as we are not getting any younger. And yes, I must also work in work, too!


I do hope you are able to enjoy Spring and that there is a feeling of hope here at home for a return to normalcy as best as we can. Globally there are still many obstacles to meet  before normalcy can return, and we all must work together to help each other everywhere. We are all one global community made up of many local communities. We will get through this with commitment and good will towards each other.

They rarely let me out of their site. While I am working in the gardens outside of their gate, Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty keep watch. My three happy boys.



Please stay well.. Until next time.........







No comments:

Post a Comment