Monday, January 1, 2024

01.01.2024. Happy New Year

Happy New Year! 


What a beautiful day. Thought it was a day for an adventure, so I fed my pups and let them run for a while and took off for Maine. Had stopped at the famous Maine Diner and had lunch and then off to my favorite stops in the area. My first stop was at the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge. She was a famous conservationist and I always enjoy a walk along the trial. It borders on an estuary and not directly the sea, but you can see the sea from the lookout posts.




Love the curved handrails! Was also thinking about how nice it was to be walking without being eaten alive by mosquitoes!


The next stop was to what is now called Parson's Beach - it was Parson's Cove all those many years ago when I first started going there. This is generally a hit or miss opportunity as it has become very popular destination and there are only spaces to park about 10 to 12 cars. But I thought it was worth a try and luck was with me. One car pulled out giving me enough space to follow the rules and park between signs and no tires on the road! One thing has changed - the number of large print signs letting us all know that this is a private beach. In Maine, beaches can be owned by individuals, so I guess we are fortunate we can walk there at all. 

I walked for 2 hours - it was cold but there was no wind, so it was really very comfortable when all bundled up like kid! There were dark clouds with the sun peeping through at times, which then made it feel comfortably warm. Maybe someone living along the beach might consider adopting me. Yes, I joke.



This sign made me chuckle. Does this mean no skipping, jumping or running???? What if someone wanted to dance along the shore?  Frolic in the sea? No to all of those? Guess we all shall just walk.



There were a lot of open shells along the beach and it looks like the seabirds were doing very well feeding.





There were also a few noteworthy birds. Saw a pair of eider ducks.





There was a flock of sanderlings feeding and flying. These are fast moving birds!







And of course, seagulls.








The real treat was watching a common loon crabbing. She was far away but you can see the details of the crab legs in her bill. I could have watched this pair all day.







Then I was off to the Kennebunkport beach. A place where only locals and those with parking sticker can park during the summer months. Yes, it is nice to have good weather to enjoy these places.






Then it was time to head home and check on my boys. No doubt they missed me! This is their 2024 New Year portrait. Shorty wanted to stand in front, and he looks pretty handsome there. All three were wagging their tails - very happy boys.



O, by the way. We have a black squirrel at the feeder. He is a bit shy and twitches at the first click of a camera and runs when the first door is opened. So I had to quickly take these pictures of him through 2 glass doors. 




Nice bushy rail. And a fast climber!



I do hope you all had a nice holiday week - that went by all too quickly - and that you will have a Happy and Healthy New Year. 




Until next time..........










No comments:

Post a Comment