Sunday, August 26, 2018

08.26.18 Mrs. Paula Gibson - RIP

Words cannot express the sadness with which this message is posted.  Mrs. Paula Gibson, fondly known as Auntie Paula, died early this morning following a brave fight against cancer.

She is sorely missed and much loved. She was very kind and generous to many,. many people. She never forgot me or my nephew when he was little, my friend's children when they were small and she loved my boys Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty. And she was a great baker. No one can bake an apple pie or blueberry muffins like she did. I'll never be able to eat either one without thinking about her.

But her true generosity became most evident when I served in Yap with the Peace Corps. Shortly after arriving I mentioned I saw a little boy with mismatched flipflops. Next thing I knew there were 25 boxes of brand new shoes, clothes and school supplies for children. What should I do? I stopped at St. Mary's Church and gave them all to Father Kelly! He distributed them to schools in nearby villages and Ulithi. She sent more gifts and supplies for the school children and many of those boxes made it to Fais for Christmas. When refugees from India and Nepal landed in Yap, there was a great need for food and supplies. Mrs. Gibson to the rescue. She sent many more boxes packed to the limit with brand new shirts and food and personal hygiene supplies. I told the hospital administrators that the best thing that happened to Yap during my Peace Corps service was Mrs. Gibson. She had sent food for the dogs of Yap - my Chocolate and Shorty among others. And she even kept sending supplies for Shorty (before he was brought home to me here in Boston) even after I returned home!

Whenever I went to visit her in the hospital I was totally impressed at the devotion the nursing staff had towards her. She said she always took the time to learn the names of the nurses and staff and a little something about each one. A lesson for each of us. My own clinical medical health assistants and office staff loved her. She was just one of those people that you notice, and one that always impresses you in a very positive way. She makes a good first impression. And she loved to talk. She could talk your ears off! I am humbled to have known her and to have been a part of her life, especially during such a challenging and difficult diagnosis. There are many stories I can share about her, and perhaps they will be sprinkled in blogs to come. But I am going to end this tribute now.

May God bring her home to Him. May she be in Heaven 30 minutes before the devil knows she is dead (an old Irish saying). And may she keep an eye on us as we do our best to help others.

Rest in Peace, Auntie Paula, rest in peace.


Here she is with Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty as we took a walk in a local forest.


Pale pink roses were her favorite. This one is for her remembrance.







1 comment: