Sunday, September 16, 2018

09.16.18 A Maine retreat - Kennebunkport

Saturday was the first I had free in a while, so I planned on a day trip to visit Kennebunkport, Maine. I have the opportunity to visit almost every year and enjoy the walks along the beaches, the town and Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge. I remember when I first brought Fionnegan home - he was born in Maine - that I took him to Kennebunkport so he could see the sea. Not sure he was aware of the majestic views, but he gave me puppy kisses any way!

While the forecast was for sunny skies, it was quite gloomy. But is was warm enough - sweater weather - and comfortable. Only a very brief drizzle that was not enough to dampen any spirits. I did stop at the local town beach. Big changes - pay for parking, restrictions on parking for visitors, and many more dogs than I ever remembered. And a lot more people, too. Maybe there were so many people visiting as the weather is still pleasant in September.

Yes, gray skies and low tide in the morning. And large, beautiful houses along the shore.




There are many photographic opportunities. Here is one of the lovely roses along the beach, complete with a pollinating bee. 


This Maltese had the best of all worlds. Bella walked for a while, then when she was tired, was placed in a cart where she could watch from the comfort of her front seat!


And this pup is her big brother.




A tall ship leaves the port for a brief excursion.




There is a beautiful stone church, St. Ann's, on the coast. This is the first time that I was able to enter the church. It had been under construction for a long time and is closed during the winter season. There was to be a wedding there later in the day.






Mrs Bush was the mother of our 41st president and grandmother of our 43rd president.




Do you think little Josie is trying to figure out how to ride the bicycle?



Maybe she just is having fun relaxing. This dog is often found at the church.



This is the summer home of President Bush and his wife Barbara, who died this year.






My journey took me to Gooseneck beach. It is becoming a favorite of mine - scenic, fewer people and more parking!

There were people in swim suits, although I did not find it that warm. I think most little kids are just happy playing and exploring.



There were a few seagulls. This one is a Herring gull.



Yes, birds yawn!



This is a ring-billed gull.



Many little plovers.









If you look close, you will see something in his bill.








And much to my pleasant surprise, dunlins!










Missed the horses, must be a great experience riding horses along the sea.



Here is one energetic soul paddle boarding in the sea. No wet suit. It has to be cold.



Breakfast, lunch and dinner for the gulls.






Asters along the beach pathway.



After a lovey walk along the beach, I headed back to my favorite beach at Parson's Cove. The crowds are limited by the number of places to park. I have been going there for over 30 years and love each and every moment. Even when I looked myself out of the car! Yes, I have done that many times in many remote areas.

Roses along the beach.



A large dog enjoying the day. Looks like he had a swim, too.



Surfers. In my younger day, I would swim in these cold waters. I would get chilled to the bone, but it was something I had to do.



The sea. Beautiful in any weather.






Drift wood.



This was a great way to spend the day. Cloudy or not, there was a lot to hold my interest. The birds, as always, were fascinating to watch. They too seemed to take a break and watch the people and the ocean.




Since I had walked for a several  hours on a few beaches, I decided it was agreeable to stop at the Maine Diner for a piece of homemade blueberry pie. Only about one or two miles inland, the skies were blue!

So I enjoyed the pie and the lovely sunflowers in the garden, Then headed back home to my boys.








No comments:

Post a Comment