Monday, May 27, 2019

05.27.19 Memorial Day - Decoration Day

This weekend is commonly known as the unofficial first day of summer. But in the USA, it is much more than that. It is celebrated as Memorial Day, previously called Decoration Day, a day to celebrate and honor the lives of those men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Services. Many will take fresh flowers and flags to the gravesites, there are ceremonies and tributes and parades to honor those who had fallen so that we may enjoy our many, many freedoms. And with all of these freedoms come responsibilities - a fact not to be ignored.

It was really good to have the weekend off. Not often do I have so many days back to back where I can wake up without an alarm. Even my boys slept late, too. While doing a bit of yard work, I found 16 pink lady slippers in my woods. They are gorgeous. In the past I had noticed one or two, but never so many in  my yard. Being very careful not to step on one, I did get a few pictures.




Also in my yard, fairly close to the house, was a huge bone dropped by some animal (coyote? or hawk?). It looks like a femur and has a circumference greater than what I can circle with my fingers. The marrow was gone, probably by rodents. But I am very curious why it was on my walkway! We heard the coyotes at midnight - the entire pack ranging from pups to adults howling! It was all I could do to keep the dogs quiet. Maybe they dropped off a snack!



The weather was perfect, so I took advantage of this treat and did a lot of yard work, gardening and cleaning the decks and porches. The house does look nice with new flowers planted in the flower boxes and everything clean.

Also went to Plum Island, one of my favorite places in Massachusetts. I eased the guilty feeling of leaving the boys at home by taking them for a walks in two of their favorite parks. They are good for about two hours of walking then they are beat. Yes, they do sleep well at night!

Plum Island was beautiful. I love the sea and the feeling of just walking along the beach. Much of Parker Wildlife Refuge is closed to people because the plovers are nesting, but the state park is open as well as all of the refuge not accessible to the ocean and beach. So bird watching it was and I saw my eagle. It passed quickly and I was driving, so no pictures. But the chance to see an eagle was one of the reasons for going there. Saw some common birds and watched a few males performing their enticing mating rituals. Observing bird behavior, as well as any animal and human behaviour, has always fascinated me.

Here are a few pictures from this gorgeous day.


Perfect beach day, not too many people on this small beach.



A single mute swan. I wonder if she was lonely.


Two photographs of a tern diving into the water fishing and surfacing. He was fishing, but no fish caught in this present dive.

 

A male red winged blackbird was trying to impress the female. She was not too impressed so he persisted in his displays.





Look in the far right lower corner to see the female. She wasn't even watching him but we did and he was fascinating putting on a mating display show!



Pretty little song sparrow, singing in the bush.



Mallard duck quacking as he flies! Vibrant colored feathers, they are always a delight to watch. I also have a few in Heron Pond, close to my house.






Eastern kingbird seen while walking. He also followed the car for quite some distance, perching on roadside branches, so we frequently stooped to watch him.



Not too many seagulls today, but he was quite willing for a photograph or two. Watching us watching him!
 

My favorite bird to observe was the semipalmated plover. He was feeding and moving right along without too much concern about us walking nearby.

 



There were a few more birds we observed including scaups, grebes, killdeer, robins, herons and egrets, and we also heard and quickly saw many warblers - names unknown as they quickly flew past us!

After a nice late lunch of ice cream and a shared lobster roll (in that order) at Bob Lobster along the road to Newburyport, it was time to head home. A wonderful holiday weekend, one for the memories.

Once home it seemed the boys didn't mind that I left them. They are always happy to see me, even when it is bath time! So baths for the boys, a cup of tea for Momma Bear, and a nice end to the day.



Gunnarr watching me through the fence while I photographed the lady slippers. He follows me everywhere.



Fionnegan being a adorable as always, before the bath. He is a little more independent minded, but always within site.




Shorty, grooming his paws. He keeps them trimmed for me. Good boy!






Until next time...……..
May your days be many and your troubles be few. And may all God's blessings descend upon you.




















No comments:

Post a Comment