Sunday, June 7, 2020

06.07.2020 My gardens

With all of the warm weather and rain we have had, the gardens are blooming like magic. We have succession gardens, with something in bloom from late winter to late fall. It is really nice to see the various flowering shrubs. Now the irises are in bloom and the peonies are almost ready to open. I have even found buds on some lilies. The pink dogwood was beautiful and more than makes up for me not being able to keep a healthy white dogwood here.

And with all of flowering plants comes weeds! I am certain that one load of mulch a couple of years ago introduced an aggressive weed. The weed flowers  are a pretty blue and delicate, but the weed is anything but delicate. I pulled all of them out by the roots for the last two years and they are back again. I am trying to keep on top of this but the weed is very prolific and is in most gardens in the front of the house and I found some in the back. I do have my work cut out for me. I am waiting for home schooling to be completed in a couple of weeks as the neighbor boy Colin agreed to help  me pull weeds. No doubt just what a little fella wants to do - help the neighbor pull weeds. He does help with the dogs so maybe we can do everything at once!

These French lilacs are right by the front door and are so very sweet smelling. The fragrance can be appreciated throughout the house.














The tropical side of me really enjoys the hibiscus.



    


   

  



White Mountain Laurel, one of my favorites. Along the walkway by the front door, a small shrub has transformed itself.



The hummingbirds are frequent feeders here at the honeysuckle shrub. It is being shaped into a climbing plant to expose all of the flowers for easy access for the little hummers. We have a pair at the house again this summer.



A pretty marsh rose growing along the edge of the yard next to the road. Does not seem to mind the salt and sand from winter road blowing but thrives as if it were near th ebeach.


Here is my little Shorty, keeping watch at the door. If he is not on the porch, he is sitting in the driveway next to the gate. Check out his blog at mydogShorty.blogspot.com.



Yes, here is Shorty tearing through the flower gardens. He was chasing a chipmunk. Now there are irises in a vase on the kitchen table. And no surprise, Fionn and Gunnarr were close behind him.



While excited to go outside, Fionnegan and Gunnarr always seem eager to come back inside the house with me. Shorty tends to ignore them when they bark and fuss like this. He just sits there and waits for me to let them all back indoors.


OK, it is a challenge to get a picture of the dogs and flowers in one frame! One day Fionnegan was standing on the top step intently watching a bee. Good thing he had the sense not to try to chase it or eat it. Shorty likes to catch flies on the fly. One day it might be a bee!













Fionnegan and Gunnarr are in need of a proper haircut. I do trim them but cannot do the full clipping. No spa date for another three weeks! My little fluff muffins were quite hot the last few days. Trying my best to keep them cool. Lots of water. More trimmings in the plan today.

Fionnegan.                                                                    Gunnarr.
          






My very best wishes to all of you and I do hope you all are safe and well. Will write again soon.......

No comments:

Post a Comment