Sunday, October 30, 2022

10.20.2022 Fall Migrations and Winter Storage.

Summer ends all too quickly. It seems I just get into a summer routine and I need to shift gears into an Autumn routine. And with the change in seasons means autumn chores! 

One of the things I have wanted to do was to go to Cape May, New Jersey and watch the Fall hawk migrations. A long time ago I had gone to Hawk Mountain in Pennsylvania to watch the hawks migrate. Since covid had restricted most of my international travel, I had planned on doing some trip Stateside. So off to Cape May I went at the end of September and I was not disappointed.

Had the opportunity to watch not only hawks, merlins and kestrels but also many songbirds, shorebirds and monarch butterflies.

My favorite bird had to be a little pine warbler.  He was, shall we say, a captive audience so I took many, many photographs of this little songbird. We were crossing the Delaware Bay on a ferry when another passenger asked me to check on this bird.  He had flown into a window on the ferry and the passenger thought he was dead. But I watched him carefully and saw him take a few breaths, so I sat by his side watching and waiting and of course, photographing!  He was apparently dazed. But finally, he was wide awake and did fly away. I do hope he was strong enough to find his flock onto wherever he might be migrating.  I wonder what that little bird was thinking about all of the attention he was getting. O - what a splitting headache I have may be his only thought!


 Pine warbler.









Perched on the rail and ready for take-off. He flew away and I hope he remained safe.



While on a bird watching tour, one gets used to early morning starts (just like at home!) I really enjoyed getting up before sunrise so I could take a nice walk along the shore. It was beautiful and peaceful and allowed me to take a few sunrise pictures. There are two skimmers (seen as dots) flying across the sky.


There were so many birds and so many pictures that I still need to do more edits. But here are a few photographs of birds seen from various locations on Cape May, from along the bay to along the sea and inland at the Cape May Birding Observatory.

Cormorant - beautiful blue eyes.


Cure little fawn. 


Royal terns and ruddy turnstones.




A long shot of a ruddy turnstone.

Setting sun from the Lewestown to Cape May ferry across the Delaware Bay.


Ruby throated hummingbird.

Mockingbird.



One of many raptors.


Sharp shinned hawk.



Kirtland's warbler.  A rare bird, generally found in the Midwest. This was the first siting in Cape May. As one of the birding capitals of the states, there is a bird alert that goes out when rare birds are found. You wouldn't believe how many people had gathered to find this little one.  I was most fortunate to snag a couple of photographs before he headed back into the brush. Warblers don't hold still for long! A second warbler was later reported along the scrub on the beach a few miles from this location. Most likely blown off course die to storms and winds. 


Savanah sparrow on a fence.

Monarch butterfly. I tried all week to get a photograph of one on a flowering bush - finally!

osprey.

Sharp shinned hawk. There were quite a few of these and some flew close enough for me to not only see but also photograph. 





Cedar waxwing. 

Flocks of cedar waxwings. What a sight to see so many of them in a flock.




Bird counter. Cape May Birding Observatory hires skilled people to count the birds migrating. They work full shifts - sunrise to sunset. 




Red fox.

Seaside sparrow found in the rushes.


 Black crowned night heron.


Sandpiper.

Avocet. We observed large flocks of these beautiful birds. They are as graceful as they are beautiful. 


A fast moving bald eagle. While he is blurred, I couldn't resist adding him to the blog. We saw quite a few eagles - what a beautiful site watching them soar high up in the sky.


It would not be a trip to Cape May without seeing a Cape May warbler. Here she is - eating berries in this tree.




The black and white warbler is one of my favorites. And I am always delighted when I can spot it. This is the first time I have been able to get a picture. 


Mourning doves. 

Great heron.

Lesser yellow legs.

Sunrise with skimmers.

Seaside sparrow.

Monarch butterflies.



Swans.

Big spider in a web.

All in all, this was a great trip.  There is so much I need to learn in order to identify birds and I am enjoying these opportunities. And one more picture of that little pine warbler.



Winter storage? Yes, I had to put my Rhodes 19 Mimi away for the winter.  Went to see her after returning from the trip. She is all wrapped up and ready for a long winter stay. It was good to dry dock her before I left as the hurricanes were coming up the coast and one never knows if they will hit us or safe. So best to keep her safe!

Getting her ready for her long winter's nap! Preparing for another summer sail - the last of the season.








Hope you all are well. It has been sometime since I wrote. Will try to do better and post again soon.

And Shorty, Gunnarr and Fionnegan are doing quite well. I think they are enjoying the cooler temperatures. 


Until next time.................. 





No comments:

Post a Comment