Saturday, August 24, 2024

08.24.2024 A quick trip to Sarawak, Malaysia

 Can there be such a thing as a quick trip to Malaysia from Boston?  Yes, there is! I was kindly invited by ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology) to give a presentation at a joint conference in Sarawak, Malaysia. How could I resist? It was an incredible opportunity. So every free moment I had was spent preparing for the conference. As I write this I am reflecting back on the very old days before computers and PowerPoint when we had to have our slide templates typed out far in advance so media services could make the slides. Heaven forbid there was a typo or if changes were ever needed - most likely corrections would not happen. But here I was, on the plane making last minute revisions again and again until I had it right. 

The travel time was over 36 hours each way for a 2.5 day visit. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The local medical faculty were extremely nice to us visitors - such gracious hospitality. I was picked up at the airport and subsequently taken back to the airport for a very early flight back home by Dr. Chong. We were dined in very good restaurants, taken to the orangutan reserve and a pitcher plant garden and yes, did a little birding in a very short period of time! In general, it was an excellent time - new colleagues and new experiences.

 Had the opportunity to see six orangutans at the Semenggoh Wildlife Centre.  They live in the wild in a protected area and come to the feeders twice a day for bananas. There is sufficient food for them in the wild so not all of the orangutans come to eat. I think they like people watching as much as we like observing them! This was a very popular area with the locals as well as us visitors.

This is an old orangutan. 


Look at those feet and toes.


A Momma and her baby swinging along the cable. She was mostly shy and did not try to take any bananas. Most likely she is still protecting her babe.



Wonder what is on his mind?


And this one was just hanging out - shaking the cable to disturb the older orangutan! Ornery. 




The pitcher plants are really very interesting. We do have them here but are always fascinating to see them. Thank you to Dr. Kai Lin for chauffeuring us on this local tour.




Getting back to the conference, the opening ceremony was entertaining. They had local dancers perform for us. I did a video the performance, but it is too long to upload here. I'll work on it and if I can get a nice snip, will upload to another post. 



Some of the conference speakers and attendees after a sumptuous dinner. Thank you, Dr. Voon for your excellent dinner choices. 

If you visit Sarawak, this is an excellent local seafood restuarant.

Everyone had a good time! Dragon fruit is on the table - oh so good.


The closest I came to the rhinoceros hornbill - the national bird. Guess I will just need to go back for a birding trip!



Delicious dishes. Family style.



Food festival during our visit - maybe next time.


Polara route from Boston to Hong Kong - nonstop 15 hours. Enough time to watch movies, work on my presentation, get a good night sleep and read my book.  Then connected to Kuala Lumpur then to Kuching, Sarawak which is on the island of Borneo (one of my must see destinations!). It did not disappoint.


 My first time flying past the North Pole.


An incredible opportunity to participate in an excellent conference. Made some very nice colleagues in the oncology fields and members of the health ministry. And I do hope to be able to return sometime.


Until next time................................





















No comments:

Post a Comment