Saturday, December 19, 2015

12.19.15 birthday week celebrations

Another year and a birthday to reflect on the past, present and future. Decided that I would make some time to contemplate and enjoy things around me. So the twins (Fionnegan and Gunnarr) and I got up early  for our morning walk, "puppy classes" and treats and then after a rendition of Happy Birthday with the dogs wagging their tails to the beat of  the song, we had birthday cake for breakfast, then I went to work.

Usually it snows on my birthday but today we  had rain. Still did not dampen my spirits. The office staff even sung me happy birthday, then I decided to go to Back Bay in Boston. I haven't walked around there in a long time. I expected more lights and festive feelings but made due with what I found in Copley Square and along Newbury Street and Boylston Street all the way to the Pubic Garden. Still, Mr Mayor, a few more lighted trees would be nice. I also went to the top of the Prudential building for the view. Even though it was raining, the cloud cover allowed  for intermittent peeks of the landscape and cityscape. A glass of champagne and black forest cake for dessert made for a nice celebration. The walk was good for  the spirit and soul. While I had no agenda or deep issues to consider, it was the first time  in a while that I had  unstructured time to myself. So many thoughts came to mind, thoughts of the year in Yap and new friends there and the situation of the men on the green boat from India and Nepal, and of course wondering about Shorty. It was a good year in Yap and I hope that at least some of the work I did will make a lasting and positive difference. You never know. Interesting I had an exchange of several texts/emails with one of the PH staff. while having dinner. The connection remains. Also I was wondering what I should do moving forward. No answers, just the luxury of letting thoughts and ideas flow. The right answer will come to  me, with time.

Then I headed for the Boston Symphony where the Boston Pops are playing the Christmas special all month. There was a sing along for the audience with the orchestra and choir with everyone belting out some old favorites for the season. Does this mean I can add "sang with the Boston Pops" to my resume? A very special treat was listening to the beautiful voice of Justin Hopkins, a bass/baritone opera singer. He has such a gift - his voice was a smooth as silk. I could have listened to him all night. And Santa made an appearance and all is right with the world!

The next day it was lunch with a colleague with the same birthday then dinner and a movie with my friend Sylvia. We saw Star Wars - the Force Awakens. It was fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. And the evening. If you like action, Harrison Ford, or just a good movie, do see Star Wars. Will not spoil it for you by giving any more comments or any details.

A lot of celebrating, a lot of reflecting, and reconnecting with friends and family. A good birthday indeed.

Here are a few pictures of Boston on a rainy night to share with my friends in Yap (and those who are still  following from India and Nepal):

Boston Public Library. An impressive building inside and out.



Trinity Church and tree. Copley Square, Boston.


Later went  to the top of the hub in the Prudential building and took the next few pictures of the city.



 




Clouds moving  in fast. Windy and raining. But still unseasonably warm.








John Hancock tower taken from the Prudential Building. Two of the tallest buildings in Boston.



 

Home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.



Warming up for the show. I was in the third row.





Keith Lockhart, maestro of the Boston Pops.


A very handsome Santa makes hiw way down the aisle through the audience.

The maestro and Santa share a laugh.


Justin Hopkins. A voice like none other. IMHO. Keep an eye on the progress of his career. He is a star.


From their "Auntie Paula" a basket of flowers to look like Fionngen and Gunnarr.


 

1 comment:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday dear .God Bless you .Wishing you a very Happy Birthday on behalf of all Indians.We all pray to God that he shows choicest blessing on you.Dr we all admire from you we often discuss about you that you always help green boat men .God Bless You .

    ReplyDelete