Monday, August 15, 2016

08.14.16 Beautiful summer morning


A beautiful early morning on the Concord River. No one else on the water. Peace and quiet and calm waters and a very gentle breeze. Saw an osprey, several great blue herons, and a few other common birds and a couple of turtles sunning themselves on a logs on the river edge. The turtles are fun to watch as they stretch their necks out to enjoy the morning sun. I try to be very quiet as the kayak slips close to the logs so I do not disturb them.

Enjoyed the quiet time alone and this was one of those rare times when I am at home that I do not have 8 paws with me. Although when I took the kayak off the car wen I came home I think Fionnegan and Gunnarr figured out there were left behind while I was out having fun! They had gone out last year with me and as predicted, Gunnarr was afraid and actually jumped out of the kayak in the middle of the river and he had to swim to shore while Fionn had a great time sitting in the cockpit with me. They both had lifejackets and a very heavy leash so Gunnarr was never in harms way. I held on very gently but let him swim to shore on his own steam. He did a great job swimming but I picked him up by the lifejacket when we got to shore and said - OK let's try this again - sit, stay. He did better the second time. So when they saw the kayak on the car, I suspect they wanted to go again. Maybe next time. Maybe!

Later in the afternoon I took them on a nice, cool walk in the woods so they could get some exercise. Fionn got tired and I had to carry him for a while. For every walk, I also judge how far we will go by how likely I can carry them back to the car if they tire. Sometimes when one wants picked up, the other one will want up, too, and I have to carry both of them. Today, Gunnarr walked right by my - such a  good boy.

How do you like the bright pink kayak? Motor boats should be able to spot me a mile away!

No comments:

Post a Comment