Friday, August 12, 2016

Wildebeest - spare parts

The wildebeest (gnu) is a really curios animal and frequently is found feeding with zebras. While fairly common, I do enjoy watching them very much, even when others start to become tired or "used" to seeing them. A while ago a ranger  had told me the story of how God created the wildebeest and I found the story online. Hope you enjoy this characterization of one strange looking animal.

"I heard a Kalengin man once say that God created the wildebeest last using leftover parts from five animals. He said that God used:
- the horns of a buffalo,
- the head of a locust,
- the body of a cow,
- the tail of a lion and
- the legs of a goat."
 
Can you see these characteristic features in the wildebeest?
 





These lions had their eyes on the wildebeest as their next feast.

He finally picked up their scent and fled. The single animals, the very young and the old and sick are common prey for the lions. This wildebeest appeared to be quite healthy and watching him run was a real treat.


Here is us, now very much aware of the lions stalking him.

 
But as intrigued as I am with the wildebeest, I do find the zebra to be an all time favorite. Each zebra has a unique stripe pattern, and I am always checking to be certain no two are identical!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment