Friday, June 30, 2017

06/29/17 A surprising find - the New England Quilt Museum

While taking care of some much delayed business in Lowell, MA, I decided to drive through town and take a look. After all of these years of living in the area, I had never been to downtown Lowell. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The beautiful old textile mills - red brick - were in great shape as were the cobblestone roads. There are many restaurants and apartments and interesting shops that line these old streets. What caught my eye was the quilt museum - and next to it was a parking space. For $1/hour parking fee, a deal hard to pass, I decided to visit the museum. I had wanted to visit the old textile museum but never had the chance.

The gift shop is downstairs and is well designed with lots of interesting merchandise that would make nice gifts for special friends. They had some beautiful quilts and quilting supplies for sale. There is a fee ($8)  to visit the museum  and it was well worth it. They had a wonderful display of old and new national prize winning quilts. The details of the quilting are very intricate. I was very impressed.

Here are a few photographs of the quilts that I hope you enjoy. Pictures do not always do justice to the subject, so if you are in the area of Lowell or have an interest in quilting or the "fiber arts" I highly suggest a visit. Then take some time to stroll the streets (I did) and enjoy a visit to a local café.




























































































Beautiful - right? Hope you have a chance to view the display.



No comments:

Post a Comment