Sunday, July 2, 2017

07/02/2017 A long 4th of July weekend.

Last night started the festivities for the 4th of July. FIREWORKS. I love them. Acton, a small town nearby, had a magical display of lights and sound. Found a special place to park and had the best view ever. No crowds, just a few local people with the same idea. Left the dogs at home, although I am certain they heard the "boom". They were happy to see me when I got home.

Not my picture. Left my camera at home!




This morning my girl Magellan (Maggie) and I went on a lovely solo kayaking trip on the Concord River. The sky was blue, the weather warm, and a wind making the paddle a bit of a challenge from time to time. Perfect.

This is one special activity that I love - alone on the water early in the morning. Yes, Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty were disappointed that I left them home, but I cannot get all three into one kayak. And it is an all or none proposition! There were turtles sunning on the dead branches and snags in the river, great blue herons, Canada geese and a host of swallows and swifts and red-winged black birds and one turkey vulture and one kingfisher. Last year I saw an osprey while on the river but none on this trip. One of the things I enjoy most is to glide slowly towards the painted turtles and watch them as they extend their necks to sun. I try not to bother them but it is fun to watch them jump into the water. You cannot get too close. The herons are magnificent birds and one today was calling and calling. Could not see why - no obvious signs of distress.

Here are a few photographs of this beautiful Sunday morning. Lucky for me, I did not let the paddle slip into the river!





















This is one big painted turtle!









My girl Magellan and I have done many paddles along the river.














No comments:

Post a Comment