Monday, July 10, 2017

07/09/17 Sailing...............

Do you know the song?

Sailing......
And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find tranquility
Oh, the canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see

Sailing
takes me away
to where I've always heard it could be
just a dream and wind to carry me
soon I will be free.

One of the really special experiences that I enjoy in New England is the opportunity to sail. I have a little day sailer, Mimì, named after the Bohemian seamstress in the Italian opera La Bohème. She is a gem. I love to be out in the harbor and hear the sound of the waves hit against her bow and have the occasional splash over the rails as she leans away from the wind. And as we sail past the airport down "hurricane alley" I love the "puffs" of wind from the backdrafts of the airplanes as they land. It takes a steady hand on the tiller to hold the course and what fun! She is moored at Cottage Park Yacht Club, a wonderful gem in itself. We can sail the Boston Harbor, view the Boston skyline and watch the airplanes take off and land. What could be better.
So Sunday we had a wonderful time - some strong winds and some light winds. And getting back to the mooring against wind and tide is always a little challenge. Spent some time doing chores - cleaning - and now she sparkles.

Here is a picture of her - she is the smaller boat with the blue cover.


So when I am not walking or grooming the dogs (or working!) I try to either kayak or sail, depending on weather, wind, tide and time!

Shorty has settled in well with Fionnegan and Gunnarr, but there is no way I can take all three sailing.  At least Fionn and Gunanrr are small enough to pick up, Shorty would be a true challenge.

Here is Shorty sitting by me in the gardens.



And while he will never step in the doggy pool, he now takes a drink from it.




The gardens are beautiful this year with the lilies in bloom. Here are a couple of photographs of them.



















Really happy doggies!







Our new deck is not quite done and already being well used. The boys like to chase each other under the porch, Fionn is a master of ambushing his brothers. They have such great fun together.



And a good dog is a tired dog! We had another long walk in the morning, but even in the early hours it is hot for Fionn and Gunnarr. We never walk further than I can carry them back. There were all left off leash for a while and they had a great run. Shorty really took off on the track but he did come back when I whistled - a couple of times. I think when he realized I wasn't behind him anymore he decided he should run back to me. And I carried Fionn back to the car in my arms, Gunnarr soldiered onwards and Shorty just slowed down a little. Most of the walk was in the woods so we did have a breeze and shade.

Here they are tonight. Sound asleep.

If you look behind Shorty's bed, you will see a lot of stuffed animals and toys. He took those from Fionn and Gunnarr's beds, one at a time, including my socks, and added them to his "nest". One day he even took one of my nice shoes and added it to his collection. Much to his surprise, I took it back! Having these things must make him feel secure. He does not chew on them and my shoe was in perfect condition. He just collects them and adds them to the bed.


Fionnegan




Gunnarr



Shorty wagging his tail when he saw the camera.



























No comments:

Post a Comment