Tuesday, June 6, 2017

06/06/17 Remember Wile E. Coyote......

..... and the Road Runner?

Well, as I was carrying branches cut from pruning shrubs over the weekend I heard some rustling in the woods. I looked up and saw the most frightened looking turkey you could ever imagine, even when it is Thanksgiving. This poor bird was running (no one ever said they were smart) for all it had and had such an impressionable look of anguish on its face. I looked behind it and saw the most beautiful coyote mildly chasing it. I suspect if the coyote wanted to catch it, it would have as the turkey does not really run fast. I should check o their speeds. Anyway, I just stopped and watched the two until the coyote saw me and then stopped chasing our backyard turkey. The coyote moved away then stopped and looked back at me, then sauntered down the hill. I think the turkey might have had a heart attack. She is in the backyard all of the time, and I suspect the coyote is as well.

This was a great lesson for me. I would love to have the dogs run loose with me as I garden and cut trees and all of that yard work. But that coyote was three times as big as Shorty and none of the dogs would stand a chance.  In some ways it is really sad. When Fionn and Gunnarr were puppies they would love to chase each other in the back, barking and running as fast as they could, jumping on each other and standing on the top of the mountain of rocks. Kings of the mountain I would call them.  I loved watching them have fun and hone their coordination and chasing skills. But the big difference was I watched them, not cut trees or other tasks. And I did have to protect them from this big great horned owl who was also protecting her brood. I even put in an electric fence so they could be near me but still have fun. But after seeing Wile W. Coyete's cousin, I am really glad I fenced in another section around the house to keep them safe. It is a tall fence so the coyotes and foxes cannot jump over it. Shorty in particular is not pleased with the fence and confinement, but he is getting used to it. And Fionn and Gunnarr have been zapped by the electric fence that they don't really want to venture out of the main yard. They all peer at me through the chain link and run back and forth around the outside of the house to keep an eye on me as I move around the gardens. Sometimes they dig holes to China and I have used those holes to drop in a plant or two! But they are safe as I work.

The wild animals are beautiful but must be respected as they are, well, wild animals. I always keep an eye open for animals when I go through the woods with debris, mostly because I don't like snakes and have found a few there over the years. The turkey seem to be a resident and is fun to watch, the foxes den is still in use, and now we have a coyote.  Run, turkey, run!

BTW, Shorty is doing great. He had a trip to the vet and had three shots and did reasonably well. Yes, two of us had to hold him, but the job was done. He walked around the pet store sniffing all of the new scents and other dogs. And after he watched me brush Fionn and Gunnarr he let me brush his coat. Of course, he also tried to bite the brush but I am reinforcing that biting is bad. Especially if he nips at me! Some day he will get that bath, am waiting for a warm day. And he has learned to sit for a treat. Good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment