Sunday, December 31, 2017

12.31.17 A refugee update

A report from RNZ Pacific informs us that four of our refugees who landed in Yap in 2014 are now in Sweden.

Here is the report as found on the Yap State Government online newsletter:

"New Life In Sweden For Refugees Stuck In FSM
RNZ Pacific // December 29, 2017
 
POHNPEI, FSM — Four Nepalese refugees who were stuck on Micronesian islands for nearly three years have found a new life in Sweden.
 
The men left the Federated States of Micronesia in September after being detained at wharves on Yap and Pohnpei as authorities determined their status and tried to find them a home.
 
The men were among a boatload of Indian and Nepalese men who arrived near starving on Yap in November 2014 and were the only ones given refugee status in 2016.
 
The group of four spent another year on a ramshackle boat at the wharf in neighboring Pohnpei in conditions which raised the concern of locals.


"Whatever it was, got it triggered and they got status and the ability to transfer to Sweden. They were excited, they were well-dressed. Yes they looked excited and happy and somewhat relieved for sure," he said." 
The men are learning Swedish and receiving training in their new home."

From time to time hear I also hear from some of the refugees that live in India and Nepal. One now has a beautiful little daughter and has also met a friend of mine that travelled to his country. Some are still looking for better opportunities outside of their homelands. I hope that they all are safe and have found new meaning in their lives. It was an incredible opportunity for me to meet so many men determined to make a better life for themselves and their families. These are men who were willing to risk everything on the chance that they might land in a country that would offer them an opportunity to have a safe and productive life. I often think about them and their plight and their stay in Yap. And in particular I send them wholehearted wishes for their safety and happiness and good health. I was told others were going to the Middle East and have heard nothing more. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate learning about their status and well-being.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hlo Mom I am one of the man from green boat I belong to India . I Miss u alot. I also want to talk to you .This is my whatsapp number 8699097506.Please Contact with me .

    ReplyDelete