Monday, January 1, 2018

01/01/2018 A frigid start to the New Year

Plans to go to Boston's First Night went out the door with the frigid Arctic freeze that has enveloped our area for over a week. I enjoy seeing the ice sculptures and especially the fireworks at midnight, so I was disappointed not to have bundled up for the evening. Not this year, I cuddled up in the couch and kept warm! I will admit that I whimped out when I saw the temperature at my house was -2F. It dropped to -6F this morning when we awoke. I am clearly not a polar bear!  While the furnace ran all night, at least it did not go out as it did two nights ago.

Today was a relaxing day. I cleared many ice dams from the gutters while Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty ran and chased each other around the yard. Despite the bitter cold, Shorty does not seem to mind. He often indicates he wants to go out and is pretty good at allowing me to put a sweater on him. I think he wants to be just like Fionn and Gunnarr so he puts on the sweater after just a brief chase today. The holidays have also been a time for me to cook - something I am not very good at doing nor do I have enough time to cook nice meals. So we all probably gained a few months these past couple of weeks. I have enjoyed the holidays with the change of pace.

Photo from Boston Globe: First night fireworks.







Couch potatoes! All three were out cold watching the Patriots football game. We are now awaiting the playoffs and hoping that our New England Patriots do well. By that we mean win. The Super Bowl. Again. But we will not jinx them. We are happy to take it one game at a time. Just win. All of them.


























He is having a blast! Runs and rolls and sniffs the snow. There is no keeping him inside the house!









Ice encrusted all of my trees and shrubs and most are still bent and attached to the ground. Must let them lift on their own or else the branches will break. The sun today gently warmed even though it only reached 12F. A heat wave during the afternoon!











This is Fionn in red. Sharing jackets is key to staying warm.






Shorty is one handsome dog. Hard to believe he was born in the tropics.



Hope you are having a very good start to 2018!




















No comments:

Post a Comment