Tuesday, July 31, 2018

07/31.18 A taste of summer

Is there anything so sweet and tasty as a freshly picked garden tomato? I think not.

This year I planted one tomato plant along the new fence. It was nestled between two climbing rose bushes. Plenty room for branches and vines.

Every day I watched the tomato plant grow, watered it often during the really hot and dry days and kept the boys from tramping on it. Finally one green tomato appeared. Then a few more. I watched the first one grow carefully, changing in color from green to orange then red. The prefect time to pick it depends on making sure it has achieved maximum on-vine sweetness and before any bugs get to it first. Not an easy balance in this pesticide free garden.

Each day I watched as the color intensified. Then there it was, the perfect day. Warm, sweet, juicy and delicious. The perfect food on a summer day. A perfectly vine ripened tomato. So delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment