Wednesday, June 19, 2024

06.19.2024. Baby Carolina wren birds!

 Every year a Carolina wren and her mate build a nest in the Christmas wreath that is on the front door. They usually build it on the inside curve and I can watch them build it and then see the eggs and small birds. Not this year - they built the nest on the top making it very difficult for me to see any activity.


I first knew there was a nest in progress when I found nesting materials on the front doorstep. The wreath was still very much green and hence it was still hanging on the door. If the boys - Fionnegan, Gunnarr and Shorty were on the porch, the bird sat on her nest. But if I should open the atrium door wide enough for me to exit, she would fly off her nest. So I stopped using the atrium door as it makes a right ankle with the front door and disturbs our little bird!

Her nest is nestled in the wreath. Very hard to see and this is the best I could do without disturbing her.


This is a nest from last year - easier to take a photograph.



So at the end of May her brood had fledged and I was going to take down the wreath. I had seen her with suet and flying off so I guess she was feeding this to the little ones. But I noticed new nesting materials on the front porch and sure enough she was back there incubating her eggs. So once again we did not use the atrium door and did not disturb her. Although she does seem to like to sing at 4:15 in the morning and sometimes she perches on the windowsill next to my bed! We look at each other for a moment and then she flies away. Apparently, she either does not mind disturbing my sleep or it is payback for her flying off her nest when I open the door! 

After a couple of weeks of knowing a renewed nest was there and a few days of not seeing her on the nest I thought they all must have hatched and fledged. So I lifted the wreath from the door and lo and behold there were at least three little one all crowding this little nest. So I carefully put it back on the hanger and fortunately did not disturb them too much as Momma bird came back to feed them and sit on top of the nest. Not much room Momma bird - they are getting big! I them went and put out another suet feeder for her and the baby birds.  I'll give her another week then check again. I think maybe they all fledged now but will give them all another chance to grow and mature! They are precious but there are no pictures. I opted not to stand on a ladder to photograph them as I think they are happier without me being a nuisance or a risk to the Momma not feeding the little ones. They are so cute and I do enjoy them singing early in the morning and also late in the evening. And I hope they return next year!

Carolina wren on the branch by the front door.


We also had a pair of house finches nesting in a tree near the front door. I did not want to bother them either so no pictures of them. This was also a popular for the cardinals to build their nests - must be because it is rather protected from the elements and other birds and dangers.

Do you have any birds nesting nearby your house? Are you able to watch the birds build the nest and then watch as the eggs hatch and the parents feed the little ones and then observe the birds fledge? It truly is special privilege to observe Mother nature.








No comments:

Post a Comment