Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Review of my visit in Yap 03.2016

Had hoped to write in real time to let you all know about the progress of the trip. But the internet connection was so slow that I could not open the link.

This was a really good trip. It started with a layover in Honolulu - which was a really nice break to have time to get a good night sleep after a long night of packing and taking my two dogs Fionnegan and Gunnarr to stay with Don, Kathy and Tess.

It was a very emotional return - I did not expect that. Had a good visit with Heidi and Amos and the kids, fellow Peace Corps Response volunteers, my Public Health colleagues, many friends, and of course Shorty. Shorty will discuss things from his point of view on his blog. It was great to see him again - he is as beautiful and loving as he was when I left. Just a bit dustier. So since he does not like a brush a used my hand to brush him off until  there was no more dirt on his hair. He stayed with me all week, only not at my side when I had to take a taxi or ride in a car. Otherwise, we were best buds again. Also had found Buddy and the three of us walked around like old times, including an ice cream cone for each dog. Buddy, who is very aggressive at meal time, could not wait to get the ice cream. He grabbed it as soon as I broke off a piece for Shorty and I was funny to see him with the cold food. He quickly spit it out, then licked it. Shorty knows how to eat ice cream!

Had seen Father John, who continues to see the men when he is allowed. Agnes also looks well and I had a couple of nice visits with Julie, the previous Chief of Public Health, and her granddaughter AA. Stayed at Oceania - a beautiful hotel with gorgeous views of the lagoon. Jennifer is a really nice person - she owns the hotel with her partner Mark, a character indeed. It was fun to catch up with both of them.

Also met John Beady, a dedicated solar eclipse chaser who along with his friend Timothy, were working very hard to finalize travel plans to take a group of adventurers to Woleai to few the total eclipse - all four minutes of the spectacular event to come next week.

Here are a few pictures of the trip.

 
Here is my dog Shorty. After finding him he stayed with me the entire trip. It was great to see him and he just agreed to return to Boston. It was sad to leave him again. The last night he knew I was leaving and there were a lot of different emotions he displayed. When we got into the car he just stood there and watched looking very, very sad - he already gave  me a million puppy kisses and in return he received a million tummy rubs. After we got in the car, he laid down in the driveway so the car could not pass. Then Shorty and Buddy followed the car to the end of the driveway and they both had such sad looks on their faces as we pulled away. No one could make up a story that would have had a better reunion and then departure as Shorty and I had. O how I miss that dog. I miss Buddy, too. And he clearly missed me, too.
 
 

My room at Oceania Hotel - many steps up to the front door. It was also a bit steep for Shorty.



 

Buddy. He was so excited to see me - he jumps on me and gave lots of kisses. And he followed me all around town, too. He gets along well with Shorty - except at meal time. Then I separate them and all is right with their world.


White has gotten taller but thinner.


Amos flying over the park by the hospital.


We all went for a walk to the park behind the hospital just like the old days. But Shorty was not interested in a lagoon bath. Too bad, he would benefit from a sea dipping!
 

 
Shorty and Buddy getting a drink of water on my balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment