Monday, May 28, 2018

05.28.18 Memorial Day weekend

Memorial Day weekend is special in many ways. It is a commemoration of those who died in the service of our country. And it is a holiday that marks the beginning of summer in the USA.

Had used this opportunity to work in the garden when the weather was nice. Most of the new fence is installed and I planted a two climbing rose bushes along the sunny side. Took advantage of the soil being able to dug up easily since they just dug six inches deep to bury the fence. (All dogs are diggers!). Next I worked on the flower pots and all but two are finished. There is a chance that even those two are finished, too , depending on time and memory to get more plants. The gardens look great - all of the rain has made them grow and the blooms are gorgeous. Rhododendrons and iris are in bloom, a late blooming lilac just burst with color and a fresh scent and the peonies are awaiting June to bloom. Have weeded just about everything I could before it rained and yes, I did get poison ivy from one of my ventures out there in the yard. This is also an annual event so I am well prepared to treat it. There also is another plant that causes me to have severe breakouts of contact dermatitis and I am very cautious of that one.  It is growing everywhere now and is an invasive plant that our town would like eradicated. But of course they do not offer much help.

We took advantage of the  nice weather for as long as we could, then I enjoyed a little down time with the rain. But rain means indoor work so spring cleaning it was. Feels good. The boys also were included in the spring cleaning and the two little ones (Fionnegan and Gunnarr) got a bath and Shorty got a towel rub down. Now they all smell fresh.  All three are right here helping me right this blog. I just took a deep breath of Fionn's coat (he sits on a small table by my desk) and he just smells so good. They had a coconut conditioner as a tribute to Shorty's home land. The women there use coconut milk to keep their hair soft and conditioned. I do wonder if dogs have any recollection of past events without being stimulated. I know they remember people and events when they encounter them again, but I don't know if they remember events as we would remember an experience. An going off in another tangent, in the office we were talking about operating on turtles. And yes, they either saw a cut through the shell or take part of it off to do the operation. At the end they used sutures and glue the shell back together. Just in case anyone was wondering!

Here are a few pictures from the events of the weekend.

Here is Shorty with his black and pink Yapese tongue. He loves the camera.







Here is my fluff muffin Fionnegan.



And here is the other fluff muffin Gunnarr.



They still squeeze into the bed they had as pups.



This is a rare camera shot. Shorty is giving Gunnarr a kiss! I have seen him do this from time to time with Gunnarr and he even once gave Fionnegan a kiss. Fionn and Shorty do not get along as well as Gunnarr and Shorty. Gunnarr tries to keep both company. And he is the one that follows me around the house on my heels. I have to be careful whenever I step backward or to the side as most likely Gunnarr will be right there.



And here is the object of many barks. The dogs chase after the squirrels all the time. I had to sneak out the door to get this shot. If Fionn and Gunnarr knew there was a squirrel on the bird feeder they would have been out the door in a flash.























And soon, my girl Mimi will be launched and sailing season begins! Another reason to get the gardens in order. Her new main sail is not yet ready and as soon as it arrives, we are off!

No comments:

Post a Comment