Sunday, February 7, 2016

02.06.16 Snow

It was a beautiful snow fall - big fluffy flakes falling fast. A bit heavy and a challenge to shovel, it made for a beautiful and peaceful scene. By the time I came home from work, we had 8 inches and it was still falling hard. A tree branch broke and came crashing down in my driveway - scaring the neighbor and most likely scaring my dogs, too. She came running over as she thought maybe I was in the car, but fortunately both the car and me were gone very early in the morning. However, the tree had one mode chance and another branch fell, this time striking the driver's side of the car but only breaking the mirror attachment to the car. Tree 1: Car 1. But I did have to saw the branches and carry them over the hill. Most of them anyway, some were so heavy that I could barely drag them 100 feet. Once the heavy snow melts from the boughs, or if I cut the branches into smaller pieces, I'll dispose of them properly.

I do love the snow. Just after a storm it is so peaceful and quiet - the only sound I usually hear is the shovel against the pavement. Then the next day the skies are a bright and beautiful blue and it feels warm and is just lovely.

My pups Fionnegan and Gunnarr had a great time  in the heavy snow, although while I was brushing the snow from the branches of the hemlock trees and shrubs they were running and playing and jumping in the deep snow. The bent branches served as tunnels for them to run and hide. When we were all done, they looked like snow dogs - caked in big chunks of snow. So out comes all of the towels again and the hair dryer and we dried off in the kitchen with bowls of warm water and a cup of tea! And a treat, of course!

Here are a few pictures of my snow dogs and trees.



We cannot forget the birds and the feeders. As soon as food was placed inside and sprinkled on the snow a cardinal and junko appeared. It is also a beautiful to watch the birds at the feeder and they perch on the branched on the shrubs next to the house. We have a flock of mourning doves that stay by the feeder just to the side - we always seem to wake them up in the morning! Beautiful birds.




This is the tree from which the branch fell and hit the driveway. Fortunately the car was not there, this time. The second branch that fell did hit the car with minimal damage.



Fionnegan.


Gunnarr.


Gunnarr (left) and Fionnegan (right). They are a challenge to tell apart. Usually when I see one quickly, I just ask "Where is your brother?".



Hide and seek under the willow shrub.






And the news said that we will be getting more snow the beginning of the week! Good thing I shoveled the porches and driveway. Getting ready for the next storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment