Saturday, February 20, 2016

02.20.16 Back in Yap


The travels included an overnight stay in Honolulu and we were at a very nice hotel just a block from the ocean. We had a gorgeous view of St. Augustine’s Church and the sea. I just love sea views. Walked around for a while after a breakfast on the balcony and visited the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, which is pink and charming in very sense of the word. It has a magical feeling to it and I have always enjoyed walking in the gardens then inside the foyer and halls. The architecture is detailed with cool breezes on the veranda. A great way to spend a few hours just walking along the shore. Then off to Guam and then to Yap. A long ride indeed!

Well, it is just hard for me to stay away I guess. From the very first moment I arrived in Yap, I knew it would be very special to me, and sure enough, I had the same excited feeling when I arrived this time.  Staying at the lovely Oceania Hotel, with individual traditional houses as the guest rooms. It was really nice to see Jen again and her pup Sid may be pregnant and she is only about 8 months old!

OK, you can probably guess what the first thing I did after getting settled in my room. Yes, that is right, I took my flashlight and went to find Shorty. Went to my old apartment area where Martin and Anthony were working as watchmen and they had seen Shorty a little bit earlier. They both said they feed him. So I walked a little bit along the road and whistled once. There he was – running straight to me – my dear dog Shorty. We had this game we would play – he doesn’t jump on me but we run back and forth – and he did it and his tail was wagging so hard it looked like liftoff! He was a little shy but did eat a cookie from my hand and I could just barely pet him. A little skittish but that is OK for the first encounter in a long time. We walked around the lagoon by the community center and down the road. He likes to lead, but always looks back to see if I am coming. His tail never stopped wagging. So he walked me home all the way up to the house, then ran through the vegetation back down to the road. He is looking a bit too thin, but he really looked happy to see me. Made my day!

Later, in the wee hours of the morning, while I was in the hammock, Shorty was there asking to go for a walk. He had come back on his own and was using his paw like he did before to signal walk time.  And he also gives a little whine. I came out and sat with him. First he moved about 5 feet from me, then in a matter of seconds he came up and sat right next to my feet and put his head on one. The he licked my socks, then looked up at me and gave me a ton of puppy kisses. After he walked around me and sat by my side just like the old days. So I put my arms around him and he held still there with me for a long time. Then we went for a walk! At three AM! He slept all night – or what was left of it – on the landing by my room and spent the whole next day with me. He also was given a good lunch of rice and chicken and fish. He ate that in seconds.
The internet speed is really, really, really slow. So more pictures will be posted after I get back.
 
Stone path. A favorite place to stroll.
 
 
Shorty on guard duty at Oceania. He sat by my room all night. He was rewarded with a breakfast and nice lunch.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment