Saturday, March 7, 2015

03.08.15 Sunday - More Yap Day photographs


My blogging days have been severely curtailed by the limited internet access. I finally was able to get a connection at home but it is as slow if not slower than at the hospital. I also miss keeping abreast of the world events and Boston sports, especially the Bruins now that it is playoff season

No major events have happened here. There was a local election and the FSM navy is in town. The ship is docked across from my apartment. One of the most interesting if not peculiar sites was to see three middle age men doing laundry. And they were dressed in new casual clothes including Nike sneakers. Men don’t do laundry – that is women’s work, and very few people wear closed shoes. Almost everyone wears flipflops (slippers in the local vernacular). Me – I wear shoes and socks. Not interested in a mosquito bite, dengue fever or a sunburn. So they probably see me as peculiar, too. After pretty much working seven days a week I decided to take a break and go to Palau. However, there were no hotel rooms so I have to put that on hold.

Yap Day was a nice experience. There were demonstrations in local crafts and skills, singing and dancing. Believe it or not, I did not find the food until I was starving as I had not eaten sine the previous lunch. And when I did find it – all gone! Matters were made worse when they told me how good the barbeque was. So the next day I did not repeat that mistake and ate at home first.

And a canine update – Shorty is talking to me. He does little vocalizations when he wants something, such as when we went to the park and played throwing the stick or when he wanted out of my office! He is still adorable. He watches for me each morning from an elevated deck and when he sees me his tail wags so hard then he runs around the house and darts right towards me. Sometimes I like to play a trick on him and sneak up the back way so I can watch him looking for me. He gets treats no matter. Everyone is impressed that he listens to a few basic commands. And Blondie is looking so very sharp in her new purple collar. Her owners removed the old tight one so she now has a new one. She too darts right at me, although she is a bit of a jumper and she is big.
 
Here are a few more pictures from Yap Day:


Martina, her three girls and me in grass skirts!



 
 The stick dance - one of my favorites.

 








A little dancer with her Mom.
 



The many faces of the dancers.

 
 
 













Former Peace Corps volunteer, now volunteer teacher in Yap. Nice guy, former football player, married to the Assistant Attorney General - who is also a volunteer. They met during their service in East Africa. This is the local attire for men. It is easier to  wear a grass skirt.



The more active dances are the most exciting. Some can really make those skirts sway.




She probably danced when she was younger.



Some "older" locals (50 years and up!) want to keep/bring back the old ways. Somehow the genie is out of the bottle. Can you find the modern items in the next two pictures?




This is James, Martina and there three girls. They were kind enough to take us to Rumung last month. He danced in the night dances. The girls are adorable and quite fun.


Can you find Graham, the Peace Corps Response Volunteer? Really enjoyed the challenge of photographing by firelight.






 
Shorty and I are in the office. I am catching up on things that require the internet. He is catching up on his sleep. He sleeps on his sheet just behind my chair.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dr Rosemary i think it is very easy to become advocate,doctor , teacher but it is very difficult to become true human being and i must say u are realy a true human being who has spirit to help needy people thanks because through your post we know about green boat people pls help us and share their recent pics u are our last hope pls share about them pls for God sake help us

    ReplyDelete