Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1, 2015 the 47th Yap Day festival

All decked out in my grass skirt (technically made of hibiscus bark) and a red hibiscus flower in my hair, I made it to Tomil for Yap Day.  The celebrations are for two full days, and it was fun. Demonstrations of local skills and lots of dances.
Here are a few pictures until I can organize everything. And I am going back on Monday!


Graham, a PCRV, live in the tree house. His host family lives right next door - which is where he gets his meals, etc.


Men dressed in the traditional  thu pushing a car.


Shell money.



Carving a canoe.



Traditional navigation instruments.


Fish trap, made by the young man looking at the camera with sunglasses.



Starting dance lessons young. (see the diaper under the grass skirt)



Traditional dancer.



The men dance at night. There were many bonfires lit. Technically women are not supposed to watch the men dance, so they light fires so the men cannot see the women.


Two young dancers.

 

1 comment:

  1. As a good human being please tell me about green boat refugees. Where are they. Please send their recent pics

    ReplyDelete