Sunday, March 29, 2015

Kayangel, Palau

The last day of my R&R was spent in Kayangel, an island about one hour off shore going north. It was a lovely bus ride to get to the dock, then en route we went snorkeling in a fair bit of current. But I saw some beautiful fish and purple coral. Then we did some hand line fishing and I caught 4 red snappers. When we got to the beach at Kayangel, we grilled the fish for lunch. It was a beautiful island with a lot of capped terns, black and brown noddies, and a few white tailed tropic birds (one of my favorites).

Did I forget to mention the puppies? In Palau, I am happy to report, the dogs appear well fed, most have collars, some with name tags, and these two puppies were on a leash. The boy is watching them for a man who helped us load up the boat for the trip to Kayangle. The puppies were having a grand time playing.


Tasty.

Haven't been fishing since I was a kid. It was fun.


Black noddy on driftwood.


Sand bisquit.


There is a hermit crab in there!



Beautiful sea and sky.


They just "hang out" on a sand bar. Watching the tide roll away.


Our boat. Not for the faint of heart. And yes, you jump out and walk in the water to get to the beach. Water was up to my waist. For others, not so deep.


A very old and worn shell.



These birds are so cool. I could watch them all day. They are excellent at fishing.


Must be a great view from on top of that palm tree!





Clam shell.



Leaving Kayangel. It was hit hard by the typhoon in November (Typhoon Hagiput) - same one that hit us. Name was changed to Ruby when it hit the Philippines.


The crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment