Monday, November 6, 2017

11/06/17 Honduras

Really good day. Worked with two residents in the OR. They were both very good and quite knowledgeable. Andrea is in her last year of training as a Surgical Oncologist and is a star. After lunch I gave a presentation on liver cancer. Not my specialty these days, but I can manage the topic. There was good exchanges with the residents and all around a really nice experience. In the evening Dr. Roberto, the residents and another team met up for a typical Honduras dinner. The food is really good!

Here are a couple of cellphone camera pictures of my team today in the OR.

Catherine is on the left and is a first year surgical oncology resident. Andrea is on the right and is in her fourth year. She finishes the program at the end of December and hopes to become a Head and Neck surgical oncologist, so that will require more training. They both are really very nice and were wonderful assistants/surgeons.


Loved the color of the scrubs - red and green.


 This is our scrub nurse for the day. She had to deal with my limited knowledge of the Spanish names of the surgical instruments. I'll get better as the week progresses. I promise! Or at least I promise I will try!




Tomorrow is another OR day. The hospital is nice and clean and has basic supplies. The more sophisticated radiologic equipment is located in other hospitals. Our hospital is a public regional hospital so you can imagine they do not receive the most updated equipment and supplies. But the surgical theaters are new and everything works and the instruments also work well. Cannot ask for more than that! It seems the staff take a lot of pride in their work and it has the appearance of a good working environment. While coming in this morning there was a group of nurses and other staff meeting with the press. Perhaps they have a different opinion of the work environment in this hospital. I am only a short-term visitor, so it is hard for me to see all of the hidden details.

No comments:

Post a Comment