Tuesday, November 7, 2017

11/07/17 Honduras. All Women Surgical Team

A day without surgery is like a day without sunshine! What a crazy mantra, but this is something we sued to say all the time while I was a surgical resident. A sign on the OR schedule board reminded me of that, it read : "Feliz dia la trabejo". Roughly translated and I may not have spelled it correctly is work is a joy.

Andrea the chief resident was able to fix my cellphone camera, so no more over exposed pictures. Told you she was really good! We did two cases today, one complicated, and one new resident and one intern scrubbed with us.

Doctora Andrea and Doctora Marcella.


OK, here are the bright red and green scrubs. Love the colors.


The residents at work with Fernando, our scrub nurse.


Doctora Andrea, Fernando and Doctora Marcella.


Our room nurse.

 The other room with the visiting surgeons had more people scrubbed and more photographers! Sky and Alia are documenting mission trips (they live in LA  now) and did take a few pictures in our room as well. I'll share those when they send them to me. A nice couple that have had many exciting experiences in life. Here is a shot of them at work!


The case is not over until the paperwork is done. Oh, it is so nice not to be the resident again!


This is a spacious pre-operative and recovery room. Nice and clean with computer monitors. Yes!


She is in charge, I do believe she is the charge nurse in the OR and she keeps everything running smoothly.


Scrubbing for the second case is Doctora Karina, Doctora Marcella and Doctora Andrea.


One advantage of having three assistants is that I can take pictures when they are closing the wound.


Here we are, the all women surgical team, Doctora Andrea, Doctora Marcella, me, and Doctora Karina. It was a great day in the OR.


Doctora Karina performed her first mastectomy with us today. She has a nice surgical touch and I see a great career for her as a surgeon. She is a first year surgical oncology resident. Doctora Marcella is an intern, she will complete a year as a community doctor as her next step, then she can decide on a specialty. Perhaps she too will want to be a surgical oncologist!


The mujeres surgical oncology ward. I believe there are approximately 50 beds. The room is open, bright and clean. No one seems to mind that they are relatively close to their neighbor, but you are still able to  have some privacy.




One of the important landmarks is the statue of Christ on the top of a mountain, called El Cristo del Picacho. I can see the statue from my window and at night there is a light on it. However, it is quite small so I have borrowed a picture I found online so you can see it more clearly. (copyright is on picture so I guess I can use it.)






No comments:

Post a Comment