Friday, October 3, 2014

10/03/14 Only in Chuuk - AKA IOC

Well, there are a few things that are called OIC by the locals and one of the most astonishing is the darts. Slingshots are used to shoot the darts at the subject and can be deadly. A very special thank you to Doctor JoJo, the one and only surgeon at Chuuk State Hospital for giving me one of these darts. He showed me pictures of men he treated that had multiple darts shot into them. Ouch is a true understatement.



On the way back to the hotel we saw a man stabbed in the neck by a gang of young men. Fortunately we were very close to the hotel and my way of helping was to ask the woman at the front desk to call the police and ambulance. It was only about 8 PM and the incident occurred right along the road. The next day I asked if the man came in to the hospital, he didn't.

Another interesting aspect of life on Chuuk is the management, or lack thereof, of the roads. The potholes are so deep and wide they are like little swimming pools. The roads are owned, I was tild, but the people of the adjacent properties, and they build up dams to keep the water from flowing onto their land, often fight about how to manage a road, etc. No right of domain here. What an absolute mess. I could not have walked to the restaurant across the road if I wanted after the heavy rains because there is no where to walk along the road

.




More stories and pictures once I get back home to Yap. Internet speed painfully slow. Took one hour to download these two pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment