Thursday, October 23, 2014

10.23.14 Thursday - sailboat in lagoon, Confirmation by the bishop

The internet has been very slow so no posts this week. We have had a busy week and have a day off tomorrow - UN Day. It was once a big holiday with parades and celebrations but not so anymore. But it is a day off from work and guess what ........... tomorrow morning is Thursday night football.
This week we continued to work on the Ebola hospital preparedness protocol and now some of the other FSM states (there are four total, Yap, Chuuk. Pohnpei, and Kosrae) want to use our draft. It is a nice bit of work identifying important things like where is the key to the  isolation room in the back???? No kidding, the nurses could not find it. So once you iron out some of those bugs, it is smooth sailing after that. We are now doiong inventory of what is available in terms of personal protection equipment. Regardless of why we are doing it and the very low likelihood that we will have a person with Ebola, it is a good exercise for the hospital.

And speaking of sailing, there is a bona fide sailboat anchored in the lagoon. I have not yet identified the people from the boat, due to t he simple matter of work, but would like to see if it leaves under sail. It is flying the stars and stripes.

On my evenng wak I looked toward the lagoon and there was a mast. Ran back to get the camera (why would I leave the apartment without it?). Could not believe it. Beautiful. I will say that I will never tire or take for granted the sea view. Every morning when I walk to work I watch the sun rise thrugh the clouds, and watch the fish under the overpass swimming in the reef. I always walk on the side of the raod nearest the sea to be sure I don't miss a view. Some days it is just so blue it is incredible. My evening walks are always around the lagoon and a side road to watch the shore birds. It is truly beautiful here.



The team getting in shape for the races. Still not in perfect sync, but getting better.

 This shot is just of the sea and one channel marker. It was just this blue. Absolutely beautiful.



Another shot of the sailboat. They say boats come up here from Palau. It is still a long sail across the pacific. And that is not such a big boat! Would love to talk with htem, we have had storms and high seas for the last two weeks or so. I am curious where they set sail, where they are going and how it is going for them. Hope to run into them.



This is Heidi and her husband Amos. They are Christian missionaries, Amos is a pilot ofr PMA - they fly to the outer isaLnds Ulithi and Fais. They have four little ones - Thimas, Rena, Hanora, and the baby boy (sorry - forgot his name.) I see them sometimes when I walk at night. The kids are adorable.



Another cutie before his shots.


She misses her Mommy. Hasn't had her shots yet. But lots of little tears.

 
One more sailboat picture. Forgive me.
 



Confirmation tonight with the Bishop, who is not well. Church was packed. What I wouldn't give for air conditioning in the Church. I swear I "glow" until there is not a drop of water left in me. It is so hot and humid on that hill. A lot of the women brought fans. I may just have to break down and get one.

 
 St. Mary's Church - confirmation of 9th graders. Notice the peole sitting on the floor. Manyleave their shoes at the door before entering the Church.


The Bishop, who resides in Pohnpei. He will be traveling to the outer island Ulithii as well as confirming young men and women at another parish on the island - St. Joseph.


This is Father Kelly.  Not the Irishman I thought he was. The Islanders don't get the irony of the name with the person so I don't mention it anymore. He studied in LA. A really nice priest.


The Bishop with the first young man being confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment