Thursday, October 16, 2014

10.16.14 WHO at Yap and betel nut

Thw WHO has a weeklong program on noncommunicable diseases - hypertension, diabetes, tobacco addiction and they have included betel nut for this region. Yap has the world's third highest rate of oral cancer just due to the chewing of betelnut. We did a small survey of the professional attendees and 82% chew and most chew betelnut over 20 times per day. I can see the tension when people discuss it as unhealthy. It is addictive and gives some energy and others feel relaxed. And - to make matters worse, the vast majority mix it with tobacco. And one third also add vodka.

My high horse and soap box arrived yesterday. The "tipping point" was seeing a two year old hospitalized patient sucking on a piece of betelnut. And rest assured, I did tell the Mom that this was no good for a baby and took it out of the child's mouth and threw it in the trash.  I do believe the Mom knew better.

If anything, I am a person of my convictions. I designed the brochure with the help of a couple Public Health Staff and the Chief of Staff and ordered 2000 (yes two thousand) from Staples. My friend Fenney is going to ship them here - soon!

At the WHO meeting there is support from some very vocal people to make the hospital and government offices betelnut free. Let's see where this momentum takes us. I have already received two phone calls from the Peace Corps office wondering if I am tryng to change the culture. No, not change the culture, just provide a public health service and lower the rates of oral cancer. And maybe hypertension and diabetes, also linked to betelnut. There is enough local grass root support, including before I arrived, that they can accomplish this. It will just take longer than the tobacco ban from the hospital as over 80% are addicted to betelnut. Maybe a little push from WHO and some data from me does help.




This was a pulic service announcement.

1 comment:

  1. I greatly admire your removing the betel nut from the baby's mouth. I can't believe how it hasn't managed to come to the US and addict our people here. They are always oon the lookout for something unhealthy to make them feel good. Since it causes cancer, etc. you are doing a wonderful service-it is interesting the way the Peace Corps immediately contacted you. It seems that heroin is fast becoming the drug of choice here.

    ReplyDelete