Saturday, October 11, 2014

10.12.14 Writing from my seaside villa.................

Really wanted to say that. In reality I am writing from my windowless office. Few have heard of old Christopher Coloumbus, so tomorrow is a work day. What Yap needs is more holidays. Now Ghana was a country that knows how to schedule holidays off from work!
The internet is out of commission at the PC office so I have managed to get my PC hooked up to the hospital system. Not so easy.

We are getting closer to starting the breast cancer program. I am giving a lecture on Friday, October 24 on some basic principles of creating a program and taking care of patients. I have designed new brochures for Yap and soon they will be translated in Yapese as well as languages of the outer islands.

We at Public Health went to the school fare for the college students. Same everywhere - girls giggle and boys try to impress. The purpose was to do basic health checks as well as provide health related information (my two - breast exams and betel nut). They also were supposed to learn about careers in public health. I got to go home early. I dosed off on the porch waiting for the students to mosy on over, so one of the senior ladies kindly told me they could handle things from there! I have learned to never miss an opportunity to take an early ride home - otherwise it could be hours before the next car returns. I didn't have hours left in me! I  had been sick for almost two weeks and was just starting to feel better.

College of Micronesia - Yap Campus



Today the weather started out clear and sunny but quickly changed to clouds and rain. Yesterday was perfect and after a couple of hours in the office I went swimming, local style, sort of local style. That is right, the women wear clothes. The expats wear clothes on top of their bathing suits. So I had my long T-shirt and leggings over my suit and went swimming at this lovely little park behind the hospital. I left my shoes on because of the rocks, so  we are not talking about Olympic style swimming, I like going to the same place so I will figure out someway to not twist my ankles and hurt my feet without shoes. The water is warm and refreshing, so even a dip is a comfort. Then when I was done, I changed from the wet t-shirt to my sunblock skirt and added a skirt so I could walk home and not try to put on my pants - or funnier still - try to change! On the way home a nice high school teacher volunteer offered me  ride - but  I declined as I didn't want to leave a wet mark on her car seat.

Later I "coached" the Yap Catholic High School sail team from the sidelines, ever so concerned that they were tacking too close to the boulders. The team is made of the two girls Renee and DC (from a previous blog), Lugo the volunteer teacher, and Cisco. They are really doing well - learning how to work as a team. Canoe festival is only 25 days away.

Teamwork






Here is one cute white dog. His owners know I have taken a few pictures of him - he sometimes wonders around the grounds at the hospital. Many dogs have homes, names and collars.

 I have two adopted dogs - Chocolate and Blondie. My names for them. The one dog is dark and light brown and white and looks starving. Yesterday when it was so hot I  brought her down a bowl of water and some Trader Joe treats. Blondie also looks half starved and I have fed it some food when no one is looking.

The dog in this picture is a picture of good health and is well fed. It sounds as if her name was "Soji".



I also "adopted" three children that live at the end of my street. It appears that they live with their Grandfather, who is very nice. I try to visit every now and then and play with the kids. Last night I was pleasantly surprised to see all four packed into a cab - the taxi driver (our tour guide from two weeks ago) was taking them to his home for dinner. Those three kids are darling.


No comments:

Post a Comment