Sunday, October 5, 2014

10.05.14. Back in Yap

Feels good to be back home. There were no problems traveling except I lost my flash drive with the meeting slides as well as some office files. How I can lose something with so limited things to watch I'll never know.
The last day in Chuuk was fun. We had gone to the Blue Lagoon resort for breakfast. It is beautiful and a popular place for divers. Chuuk Lagoon has many Japanese warships sunk and is well known for excellent diving.
Spent time wondering around the grounds, making friends with a little kitten who kept snuggling up to me, saw teo sad dogs with mange, and saw a few more new birds. On the way home the car ran out of gas. I stepped out to play volleyball with the kids until a nice United airlines employee took me to the hotel. No time to spare to check out and get moving. In Chuuk, some of the outer islands are reasonably close to the main island (Weno) so people take commuter boats to work. Not bad on a calm day, brutal when the waves are high. I suspect there is a high "weather day" absenteeism.

Here are a couple of pictures of the day.

Traditional dress for women. Mnay different colors and patterns.


Puddles everywhere. Shoes and feet always wet.



Get ready, this is on the list of Who am I?



 

Remnants of wreckage.



Going no where fast.


Chuuk is the name of a state in Micronesia. Weno is the main island where I stayed. Here is a view on Fafan, one of the outer islands in the lagoon. The lagoon is huge - more like a sea.



Dog finding some rest, shade and peace and quiet. Scoot over!


Server at Blue Lagoon. Very characteristic appearance of the women.



Am not a cat lover, but if I lived there the kitten would have had a home. He followed me around for a while and would brush against my legs. Who could resist?




 



On of the guests at the resort, feeding this dog who is obviously not well. Both him and his buddy  have mange.




Scenery at the resort.



Father and daughter waching something. He appeared tobe a worker at the resort, she looks to be about 2. She is also wearing a traditional skirt worn by women.




 A sand crab. There are lots of them and large holes or tunnels everywhere.



Women from Pohnpei and conference attendees (except far right - she is a high school student from Chuuk and niece of  lady next to her.)


Pretty purple flower.



Kids paying volleyball.


OK, did not see that until editing the photographs. And yet he was so nice! Obviously is copying his Dad or another man at his village.

 
Watching us play volleyball.



Everyone and no one is a mechanic. I did the same! The lady driving was asked if we were out of gas and she insisted we weren't. But we were. Car back at hotel by the time I finished packing and left fro the airport.



Children from Chuuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment