Wednesday, September 23, 2015

09.2015 A week of farewells and ........................

...................... visits to favorite places.

When I returned from PNG I  had a week planned to finish up a few outstanding projects - plus pack. As it turned out there was very little time to finish the work and it travels with me to complete.

We had a great week and it turns out Shorty is somewhat of a celebrity in Colonia. One day we were walking in town and I said hello to a man I had met a few times. He said do you remember me and I said yes. Then he said - I'm not talking to you I am asking Shorty! Apparently he fed Shorty while I was in PNG. One evening Shorty and I were to meet a friend Betsy for dinner at the Marina, but she could not make it, so Shorty and I  went alone. I like the restaurant - they have good food, prices are just a little high, but they allow Shorty to come inside or I can take a table outside. The waitress greeted Shorty - she remembered his name but not mine!

We visited a few places where we could sip ice tea and water. I especially like Goma Bar - part of the Marina - have my favorite seat in the corner right by the lagoon. The other favorite is the Waterfront Inn, where we have a drink on Saturday nights and watch the stars and the sea.

Had a wonderful dinner with Heidi and Amos and the kids. I am going to miss them terribly. I love the kids and Heidi. They made the year in Yap go fast. Also had a very special lunch with Agnes, who made chicken and pumpkin and brought a picnic basket to the apartment. Dinner with Jennifer of Oceania Hotel was also very special. She is part owner of this lovely hotel (formerly The Pathways) and her cook is excellent. Once the restaurant is open I suspect she will always be very busy. The place also has a great view of the lagoon and the private rooms look like local village houses. And she now has a white puppy named Sid to keep her company. I will also miss her and wish we had more time to become friends. The new PCRV also met with me for drinks and dinner at Trader's Ridge (now called Yap Divers Resort). So a lot of eating before I left. And I will always remember that very special dinner made by the men from the green boat. People are supposed to keep me posted of their progress. We raised a bit of money that will be used for food as well as essential items. Betsy, a PCRV working with the Department of Education, was particulary kind. She kept me company in the evening as I waited for a 1 AM pick-up by Alex (Seabee) to go to the airport for a 3:30 flight. My question to United - really? The flights have to be at 3:30 AM? Really????

It was a great year and I do look forward to my continued work with the hospital and PH in Yap. And I will return - Shorty did not make the trip back home with me. So I will have to return!

Here are a few pictures of friends and the scenery.

Honora and Shorty. Tommy, Reina, and Honara were given a bag of treats for Shorty to feed him after I leave.


The Collins family.








Sipping a Coke at the Waterfront Inn with a view of the Mnuw.


Shorty likes it there at the Waterfront, too. Ever since we threw him in the pool he has been very careful around water. Did I mention that? He was filthy one day - caked with mud and he stunk. He had followed the drainage pipe by the community center into the lagoon where I do believe he almost got stuck. He refused to allow me to wash him with bottles of water, he refused to wash in the lagoon, so as a last resort he was thrown into a pool. He did not enjoy that, shall we say.


Entrance to O'Keefe Waterfront Inn, a really lovely place.



 New dock being built.
 


Pictures around Colonia.




Pictures from the dinner with the men from the green boat. Their application to be classified as refugees was denied by the UN. They have one month to file an appeal. Are there any good lawyers out there that can help them? How about just one good lawyer?












 


The meal was delicious. Heidi made two cakes, the rest of the food was prepared by the men.


The lagoon and park behind the hospital. Our favorite place for Shorty and me to visit.




Swim and napping - pastimes at the park!


Shorty loves playing in puddles.


Pictures taken from my favorite corner at Goma Bar facing the Marina and lagoon.







Aleric walking on the stone path with me.


My apartment is the upstairs corner unit.


Evita and Shorty having fun.


Jennifer and Sid from Oceana Hotel. We all need a puppy to keep us company. And love them we do!




Completion of the stairs at the hospital. US Navy Seabees.


Shorty in my office. He is waiting for breakfast.


I mentioned Shorty is a celebrity.



Aleric, Evita, Shorty.




The library getting a makeover by the Seabees.


 
Shorty at the Oceana Hotel.


 

Now it is time to say goodbye!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment