Wednesday, January 7, 2015

01.07.15 Accepting the Challenge - Conquering the Fears

OK, so maybe I didn't conquer the fears, but I did accept the challenge. I am really afraid of deep water and breathing under water. Hence my jokes about "dry snorkeling". Well, today I did it. I went open ocean diving. And loved it. Still do not like water in my face when I am breathing on my own.

I had my first lesson on Sunday in the pool. It took a minute before I would release the air from the BCD to sink. That was made all the more challenging as the  pool was deep and all of it was above my head when I stood - so no safety net there. But I did it and got comfortable with breathing and passed all the skills. My instructor is Nick, a 24 year old who has done about 12,000 dives - he started at age 13. He is very patient and excellent at his work. He got me into the  sea!

So today it was out to the deep blue ocean. We went beyond the channel and outside of the reef for the first dive (total time each was about an hour). The thought of rolling backwards into water, oh my, but  I looked at Willy - one of the guides and he said just go. So I did. WOW. It was beautiful. Saw a turtle, shark, jelly fish.lots of reef fish of all colors and beautiful corals. Since we are actually going to Fais and Ulithi on Friday (third time is a charm for this trip) I cannot diving go as planned on Saurday. But I will the day after I return - already made the booking. I can  see the possibilities of underwater photography for me as I become more proficient. Good to have goals, but one steep at a time.

We had a small group that include John and Willy, expert divers and work for Yap Divers (Manta Ray Hotel), Nick my instructor, Kate's  (Vol Teacher) Aunt from Cleveland, a marine and his wife, and a former dive instructor from Germany. Everyone else an expert at this.

Hope you enjoy a few pictures of the scenery and the process.

One of the women lost her goggles. Willy drove in and retrieved them. That is his splash.



View of Yap from the water.


A German tourist who also was a diving instructor.


View of the sea from the dive boat.

Nick is helping Kate's Aunt Mary with her gear. Mary survived a bullet wound to the neck. She was abducted by two men in a parking lot of a shopping mall. First one man tried to shoot her in the abdomen, but that failed and she ran and he shot her from behind in the neck. She has deficits, but makes the best of everything. She is diving!





Willy retriecing the goggles. BTW, her husband (the marine) also jumped in to get them, and he lost his.  Needless to say, he was not pleased. Good thing I  had heard some of those words in the past! Sadly, he was really unkindto his wife. After thety jumped in for their dive, the rest of us agreed he should nevere have spoken to her as he did. They were just goggles. You think she lost his on purpose. Lesson from this - hold onto your goggles when diving!




And this is how we did it! I still cannot believe I did this.


And then it was my turn. Being the only student onboard, I was to watch everyone. The best way for me to relax is to photograph. Keeps  my mind focused. Willy looked me in the eye and said "Go ahead". Somehow I felt that I could not let him down so  I went! Flipped over backwards and then upright. It was so cool, and I had the chance to do it again.


Another Yap diver boat outside of the reef as well.

 
 
Nick. An excellent and very patient teacher who survived my first two dives. He also is handsome and a very nice guy. I had the chance to talk to him on several occasions before the dive. He arrived in Yap about the same time that I did. He made me very comfortable with the idea. I was going to do this in deccember but my schedule and the diving schedule were full that this week was the first I  could manage.
 


Willy. What can I say? A very nice man, rescued the goggles, encouraged me to flip backwards and was very helpful with all aspects of the trip. He helped us out of the water and was also very patient wth everyone. And he knows Chocolate. I am sure you were wondering when I'd work in a dog story!



He is signaling we did fine!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment