Monday, May 11, 2015

05.12.15 Long weekend - Constitution Day

Love these long weekends. Even though I still work every day, I can work the hours I like. Had visited the asylum seekers with Shorty. Hope (their dog) and Shorty like to play. Later went for an early evenng walk and we found a water leak at the O'Keefe Waterfront Inn. So we called Don Evans, the owner, who arrived to shut off the water. It is a really lovely little Inn. I like to go there on a Sunday night to sit on the back porch and watch the reflection of  the sunset in the sky and the water. And they let Shorty come in with me. Also, I can get caught up with the local news as one of the staff is also a policeman. But if they have no guests, then the lounge is closed.

Agnes, a lovely local woman who has become a friend was on her way back from an evening walk, so we went to Trader's Ridge (now correctly called Yap Divers Resort) for a light dinner. We found out that the outrageously dressed men in town were actually movie or television stars from Korea. There are 45 people from Korea here making a special - perhaps television. If it wouldn't have been rude, I would have liked to have snapped a picture of one of the men in the really wild diving outfit. Now it all falls in place. There stopped to ask me where to buy souvenirs - only one was friendly - he must have been the agent. The "stars" are often in their own world. They were having a fantastic dinner with roasted pig and all of the trimmings. I am not familiar with any of the Korean stars, so I cannot say who was here. But it was fun to see them.

A fuse blew out the Telecom was right on top of things to repair it. Look in the lower left of the picture. The  man is holding a flashlight so they can  see how to manage the repair near the top of the telephone pole. Jokingly, I was mulling over the possibility that this was a betelnut convention as each man had his basket with him. Sometimes Shorty and I sit out late at night on the steps leading up to my apartment. Usually I look at the stars and he looks for cats and dogs. The Southern Cross is now clearly seen, as special as the Big Dipper. Can see them both here.



House cleaning and laundry were big items on the to do list. Then I finished the Disaster Preparedness Plan for Public Health. The Chief needs to review again and we should get it finalized. It will make preparing for disasters much easier and more efficient that what we do now.

Shorty had a busy day - Blondie was at the apartment complex this morning so the two of them had a vigorous romp while I did laundry. This was after we had a nice morning walk. Then Shorty had a very big breakfast (or should we saw two breakfasts) and then took a nap. On my bed. He has made himself at home. The good part is that he does not bother or damage anything. When he wants to go out he nudges my leg with his nose. And when he wants me to put on my shoes and walk with him he puts a paw on my foot. He does whine if I try to send him outside alone!


So innocent!

Better to gnaw on a tennis ball than my arm. He is still young enough to gnaw on Blondie and me.


He is having one grand time.


Still innocent? That is my shoe on his right. And he is on my side of the bed. 3/4th is his side.




We also are getting ready for "Women's Health Week". It is a free health exam for all women in Yap, including breast cancer and cervical cancer screening. Should be exciting.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment