Sunday, April 19, 2015

04.19.15 Asylum seekers

Yesterday I went to visit the men from the green boat. They are still doing well. I took Shorty to visit as dogs do have a positive effect on many people. It did work. And they showed me their own puppy - a starving stray dog about two pounds soaking wet. They are doctoring him with rice and baths! They did not name him yet, so I suggested "Hope". Now I know that is a girls name, but I  think hope is all we have to offer them. They jumped on the name and started calling him Hope as I  was leaving. I did not have the camera but will go back with some food and take a picture of this little puppy. They made a makeshift collar for him and a leash. I will bring htem a puppy collar soon.

But we cannot minimize or ignore this serious issue. As I saw the much needed aid being delivered to those affected by Typhoon Maysak, I could not help but think about the dire straits of these young men who paid $7500 for a better life. This  money probably amounted to all they and their families had worked hard to save. They are safe, fed and have bathroom facilities and clean water, but this situation is far from ideal. And they have been here since November 2014. Does it really take this long to find them a place to live?

Several of us are deeply affected by the lack of evident progress. We hear comments like "they are spoiled" - really eating rice and salt is being spoiled? They had yet another outbreak of scabies and I am mocked everytime I ask for hygiene items like soap, shampoo and toothpaste. Comments are made that they should just jump into the sea if they want a bath - but some of these men do not swim. And I doubt anyone would be happy living as they do - their boat was sunk from lack of fuel to keep the pump running and that is where some slept, they now live under a tarp or under an roofed but open men's house.

If any of you who read this blog have any connections to human rights lawyers or any one else that may help, please ask them to get involved. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Dr Rosemary i have posted several comments u know i want to help my brother any way i just want soon he will be repatriated and i am able to pay the expenses of their deportation but as lack of knowledge i dont know which govt official i contact I want to talk my brother one time .Pls ask govt of your country involve their families and countries like Nepal and India. I belong to very good family they are just economic asylum who were cheated by Indonesian agents for the sake of money.My all family very depressed u are our last hope because u post on green boat men through your post we are able to see my brother .There is no news by FSM media on these men ..My mother is also very depressed .I just want soon they sent back to their home countries pls answer my comments

    ReplyDelete