Monday, April 20, 2015

04.20.15 Canine update

Shorty has had some separation anxiety. I was gone three times between the end of March and April and now he won't let me out of his sight. He has unofficially been staying in my apartment,, and I must admit, that has been fun. He really is a good dog, and he will nudge my leg when he wants to go outside, and he steps on my foot when he wants me to walk with him.

He knows his way from my house to the hospital and back on his own. One late night I sent him out as he wanted to play and I was really tired of playing with him. The next morning I learned he went back to the hospital where Daniel and his Mom feeds him, ate breakfast, then came back to my apartment to wait for me. Now, if I could somehow teach  him to stay off the road, we'd be OK. But when he walks he is looking for his canine pals - male and female - and pays no attention to the traffic. He is also a bit of a night owl.

Blondie is looking as cute as ever. She waits for me in the mornings to give her a treat. She is not camera shy as you will see. And Buddy is just a big lovable dog when you get to know him. His mangled eye has healed and you won't know he had a large infected wound. The miracle of antibiotics. I'll have to get an update of him soon. He, too, eats at Daniel's house.

And I still look after Judith's dog Scarback (Judith was the PC response volunteer who left last month). Her other dog is gone, I sawher once and fed her, but she hasn't been  here since, so I think someone took her. She was lame and could not walk far, so I doubt she wandered away, especially since I was feeding her.

I am coaching one of the PH staff to feed and manage Scarback. He is very skittish since he has been abused a few times and been in fights with other dogs and has battle scars. Earlier he used to bark at me but no longer. So I am having Vanessa come with me and feed him so he gets used to her. Then  she will take him to her home and feed him and take care of him. I have another outer island trip and I don't want him to starve while I am gone. I don't think he ate much at all on my last trip, so I hope she is comfortable enough to take  him home. Getting him into a car should  be interesting.

Here are a few new photos of the Shorty and Blondie. I'll  have to take some of Hope (the green boat men's puppy) and Scarback.

Shorty is really a well fed dog. And he runs like the wind. Never expect to see a dog with such short legs and long body run with such speed and grace. He we are going to work in the morning. He had a sleep over. He always walks and runs with his tail up and wagging, unless being chased by big dogs. He is one happy dog. He still will not willingly let me brush him.



This is my favorite place to watch him walk and run. The color of his coat and the green grass makes for a nice scene. He usually doesn't keep looking to see if I am still behind him, but these last two days he runs a little then looks back often.


Blondie. What can I say. She used to cavort with Chocolate, but now she plays with Shorty. She is wearing a nice purple collar which someone later stole! Imagine stealing a dog collar. I had been warned about that. So now I gave her a plain blue one. Someone also stole Shorty's water bowl that I bought him - stole it from Daniel's porch! Petty theft is a real problem here and sometimes not so petty.


Shorty and Blondie. Pals. When they run together on the road it makes me wish I left him at the hospital or her in her backyard.



She likes to jump and  I don't mind except when she has dirty paws and gets my clean shirt messy. Here she is looking right into the camera. She is cute and fun and loves her treats.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment