Tuesday, April 28, 2015

04.28.15 Working day

This week has started off being very busy. Am working on the school health data set, so lots of numbers to crunch. A urology team was supposed to arrive but missed the flight to Yap due to delayed arrivals. And today I was asked to go to the airport to examine a shipment of medications from MAP International, a great organization. They shipped 7 boxes of much needed medicines and all can be used. So a very special thank you to MAP International. BTW, this organization helped sponsor my very first trip as a medical volunteer. I went to Bangladesh as a medical student, so I am very fond of them. PMA has been very busy flying people and supplies back and forth.

Was then asked to attend the Emergency Operation Center meeting, where I presented our health assessments and plan for continued surveillance. This meeting took about three hours. There are concerns that an assessment report has not been sent to the Governor - and that translates into money.
My reports have been done. So there is a task force created to get the rest of the assessments into one report. I was able to state not only what we found, but what we need to prevent diseases so the chair was taking notes and I gave him my folder with the reports and list of needs. I really enjoy doing disaster relief work.

The rest of the day was spent chatting with two nurses who have a wealth of  information. That was fun as we are usually busy withour own projects.

Shorty, Blondie, Buddy, and Scarback are doing well. I am trying to get Scarback adopted - today he let me rub his tummy and rub his paws - a major feat for a dog who has been terrorized by people.

No more news on the men from the green boat. I did stir the pot and IOM was supposed to be asked to return to the table and help take care of them. Too much politics - all I know is that they need help and attention. Who said - "I'll be back"? which is how I feel about monitoring the situation. I'll be back to see how things are and keep bringing it up at meetings. Now that there was a devastating earthquake in Nepal, there could be no plans to return anyone there.

Today was Cute Baby Tuesday. Here is Roxy with a little one here for the immunizations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment