Friday, July 3, 2015

07.03.15 Bangladesh arrival


It was a long trip and an interesting experience. Four different airlines – one for each leg of the trip. And each requiring a separate check-in. No real problems, just takes a long time. Good thing I like watching the crowds as I stand in lines.

In Singapore, we had to go through special security before we could enter the gate to Dhaka. The whole area around the waiting area was cordoned off from the rest of the passengers in the airport. There were a total of four other women on the plane – almost all young men who appear to have been working and now going back home. Some were taking presents for their children and wives – a very nice touch I thought. I don’t know how long they were gone, and it seemed that most flights into Dhaka carried working men. Good for the economy of this very poor country of Bangladesh.

Professor Haque met me at the airport – he had sent someone to meet me at the gate and get me through customs. You can get a visa upon arrival – very civilized. The fee is US$51 – and you get change in the local currency of taka (US $1 to BDT 78).  Checked into the BRAC Inn. BRAC is a bank with a large social conscientious. They support many health programs both in Bangladesh and abroad in even poorer countries.
In the morning I had breakfast in a restaurant which served good food. The hall way is under repair with electric wires hanging low from the ceiling and the floor also under construction. One can negotiate a safe passage with care. As I ate I watched the activity outside – small boats of passengers being taken from one side to another with the river partitioned – each area has its own business. So I went for a walk and met the locals and took a few pictures. It was a good morning to get acclimated again to the culture. My ear must be retrained to under English with a Bangladeshi accent – which is very different from a Yapese accent.

My friend Ruhul and I met this morning to review the game plan for the next week and a half. We have a lot of work ahead of  us. It is good to be back here and I am looking forward to seeing all of our assistants again.

A few pictures from the morning stroll.
Seeing is believing. By the afternoon the wires were properly secured in the rafters of the ceiling.

Transporation for crossing the river. It was a very cloudy morning.



What - no top riders? When I first came to Bangladesh you could ride on the top of the bus for free.


Crossing the river.



Ferry terminal.




A lovely older woman who stood by my side as I took pictures then walked a short distance with me.


A helmsman with a good sense of humor.


 

Slum along the river. Or river front houses, depending on your point of view.



Police officers.


Some men hanging out on a street corner.


Rickshaw driver. Very disappointed I wanted to walk, but very happy to have his picture taken.

 
 
Street scenes.
 



Gardens along the road.



Beggar.


Chicken for dinner perhaps?


Two boys carrying cloth.



Young girl and woman.

Probably not many people take pictures on this street. See the man's face in the right upper corner.


Fresh eggs delivered via a rickshaw. Not boiled or scrambled!


Rickshaw driver.
 
Some of the people in the photographs saw me taking pictures and asked for their picture to be taken, others I asked  if I could take one of them. I shared the pictures with them so they could see themselves. I do enjoy that.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete