Monday, September 1, 2014

08.31.14 Yap

I am really here!
{photos not uploading. will try again later)

Had a very comfortable sleep, hot shower, and good breakfast, then went off to explore. The hotel is on a lagoon with a beautiful view from my balcony. The choir was singing at serves in Yapese, beautiful voices. A lovely background to some really beautiful scenery. Many people waved as they passed in their cars or trucks, my little friend Derrick from the airplane went by in the back of a pickup truck, waving as happily as he was chatty on the plane! There are very few tourists here, so many just presume that I am with the Peace Corps.
 

Watched a freighter come in to the marina, walked around the center of town, found the Marina Sports and Bar grill with hopes that I might be able to catch a football game some time. With the time difference so great, it will be early morning the next day for us to watch live in real time. I will definitely figure that one out.  For my CPYC friends, only one catamaran drydocked – no sail boats.

Later today I will be moved into my apartment. Looked around some shops to see what they have to set up a kitchen, etc. Should look for a cook! Or delivery!

Now I am in the new apartment and it is really nice. I have a view of the sea and am close to the marina bar and grill. They open at 7:30 AM and you can watch the football games on Monday mornings, local time. Spent most of the day cleaning a few things and unpacking. Then went for a walk when it was a little cooler. Watched some kids swimming (fully clothed – no bathing suits here) and met another PCR volunteer. Around midnight, the air conditioner turned on, so now it is quite comfortable.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment