Tuesday, September 16, 2014

09.16.14

For some reason, I resisted buying a can opener. Maybe because once you have a can opener you buy a can of tuna, I am not sure. But my excuse for not buying canned tuna was that I have no can opener. Follow the logic? Although we are on an island, with fish all around us, we don't have that much fresh fish to eat. A few markets will text you when fresh fish arrives because there are no set days when  fresh catch will arrive. So I bought the can opener, and yes, a can of tuna. Even in one of the best restuarants in town the fish was tough - as if it swam from Boston to Yap via the Panama Canal.

The rest of the day was spent with meetings and more meetings. The hospital is rather well organized, but  there is still room for a lot  of work to be done. They are caught somewhere in the middle of knowing what should be done and what can be done. Government bureaucracy is no different here than it is at home. I suggested persistence on the basis of the squeaky wheel theory.

It rained again today and is raining hard now, The weather report for Yap could be standardiazed to read: some sun, some clouds and a good chance of some rain. Every day. They would be on the mark most days. Saturday night though was absolutely clear and had the chance to star gaze. With so few "downtown" lights, the night sky is spectacular.

Here are a few photographs from today:
Building a meeting house. Roof most likely will be made of thatched leaves.



 Healthy eating and healthy diets are common themes here. I am not certain how many heed the advice, but there are several of these stores selling produce and fruit from local gardens. Bought myself a nice papaya. I didn't know I was to weigh it until the clerk asked me if I "pounded" it. I did, one pound.



Here is a one month old cutie in a locally made basket.





Innumizations are taken seriously here on Yap. There have been no cases on our island, but there was an outbreak in Micronesia this year. People are concerned that a traveler will bring it here, and every attempt is made ot vaccinate all eligible people.Three shots for this little one and his polio vaccine, which he just slurped up. They all di fuss over the babies.



So, what about my birder friends or the school children. No gueses on the name of the bird from yesterday? Will try to have a new bird per week, pending a clear photograph.

And a special thank you to Mrs. DF for her thoughtful  card and note.

No comments:

Post a Comment