Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A two hour tour....................................

Remember the three hour tour that led to Gulligan's Island? Well, Judith and I went on a two hour tour that lasted five hours! Take comfort in that I will not post all of the photographs from the trip! We went from one end of the island to another, and as there are days where I may not have pictures to post, I will use some from the trip.

We did go to the highest elevation on the island. The view from the very top was a bit obscured from the trees, but midway down we had a lovely view of the sea and the coast.

This is such a rare site that I had to photograph it: someone wearing seatbelts. Phillip our driver and tour guide was a good sport and buckled up. He knows everyone and just about everything on the island. He is also the chief of Gagil. When issue I raised when we met with the Attorney General was seatbelts and child safety seats. I will have live on Yap much longer than one year to see those laws passed. There is absolutely no interest in either. With a population of only 11,000 and a speed limit of 20 mph, they don't have may accidents, so they say. I have yet to see or hear about a serious motor vehicle accident here, although I am sure they must happen.



This is Judith and Phillip at the tower on the highest elevation of Yap.


The view from the top.


 
 
View from the midportion of the road.  Absolutely beautiful.
 


And here is that infamous Areca nut tree, known as betel nut, also called buw on Yap.  OK, name those birds. The answer: fairy terns.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment