Monday, September 1, 2014

Yap. 09.01 and 02

Yesterday and today were spent meeting everyone at the Public Health Office and the chief of medicine and hospital administrators. We have worked out a plan for my work, although I just earned that my housing is temporary. Too bad as it is a very nice apartment and in an excellent location where  I can walk to work and to the markets.

Have a few pictures of the local scene to share:

A nice family waiting for a boat to take them home. This is a picture of a Grandmother with her three granddaughters.


She is darling.

Traditional dress for women. Most women wear skirts, but it is not uncommon to see women in pants or shorts that extend below the knee.


 
 
 
Most men wear the typical western otfits - pants and a shirt.  Some wear the longer shorts and a shirt. Dr. Colin, from Fiji, wears a shirt and tie and looks very sharp.
 
The following pictures are of Jesse, from one of theouter Yap islands. He is taking some packages to a volunteer stationed there.  (So far, after three weeks, mine have not arrived. Guam is the problem, they say, although I have no idea why.)  Jesse is wearing the traditional loin cloth.                                                                                                                             
 
 
 
 

Left to right: Bernie, Jess, Patrick. (Patrick and Bernie are from the PC office.)

 
 
This is where I live for now. My apartment is on the second floor, corner room.
 


This is a traditional women's basket - hand woven from pandanus leaves. My next splurge will be to get the men's basket. This is a great addition to the apartment to hold things.

 
 
These are pictures of my apartment and the view of the sea from the living room and bedroom.
Not bad! The flower wreath and lavalava were given to me from Julia (wreath) when arriving at the airport. They are a nice display t see when I walk in the apartment.






 
My office in Public Health:
 


In order to learn more about Yap, and Micronesia, I have become a card carrying member of the Yap Library. The history books are reference only, and will need to work out some time to stay there and read. And now I must get back to work on those public health  "indicators"!

No comments:

Post a Comment