Sunday, September 14, 2014

09.14.14. An unexpected opportunity and privilege

 
Decided on an afternoon walk so that I could take some photographs with the late afternoon sun light on subjets of interest. While I was walking to Baleau I met a schoolboy who was on his way to a dance. A cultural dance, typically reserved for the community. He said I would be welcome. You have to love little 9 year olds. Of course you can come and watch and take pictures, too. So I  did. I went and took pictures. Obviously, I stand out in the crowd when I entered the area, No one said anything for  a while, but there also were not any smiles. One man came over and asked totak to me privately. He asked if I was a tourist. I said no, I live in Colonia. He looked a little stunned, so I told him I work in Public Health at the hospital. That made it OK and I was able to stay. During an intermission, I tried to make some small talk with the women. And yes, the first question was if I was a tourist. At the end of the song and dance performance, I thanked the women for this very special privilege. Then they all smiled and when they past me on the road as I was walking home, there were a lot of smiles and waves.

The video is not  the best as I was standing in the back, but it gives an idea of the traditional song and dance of the Yapese. My longer videos would not upload. I'll work on learning how to edit them. And ot move the camera a little more slowly!




There were women of all ages dancing. The youngest was 2 1/2, obviously just learning. There also  was one elderly woman who also chanted. It is nice to see the young women participating and continuing the cultural heritage.

 




 

The oldest and the youngest.



The girl on the left is working hard to learn the dances. She was very serious and was keeping up well with the rest of the group. She is learning well. The little cutie on the right was imitating her.








Practicing her dance.

 
 
 
 

OK, she is just too cute for words!



Chanting and dancing, led by the elder woman.

 
When the chants stop and all is quiet, you can hear the movement of the leaves of the skirts as the women dance.  It is a beautiful and peaceful sound.



 An elderly woman daner, taking a break. She also leads the group with chants.



 



These women were making grass skirts during the performances.

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment