Saturday, September 20, 2014

09.20.14 SAILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, indeed. Today I went sailing on an outrigger. What an experience - so cool. But the best thing is that there are two high school juniors who will be the first girl sailors in the canoe race festival in 50 days. The two of them and their school teacher and another young man will race an outrigger. The gilrs were thrilled as today was their first time sailing ever. Twoother girls rowed a canoe but were a bit more timid to sail so I invited them to sail with me. Now they want to be on the team Go girls! I was askedif I wanted tobe a coach for the school team, We will see if they were serious - it would be fun to be involved.
Here are pictures of our sailing adventure. In the next blog I will show pitcutres of how to step a mast and tack an outrigger.

Mast and sail. Always tacking.


Josie, who wasn't so sure she wanted to do this, now all smiles.


Clarisa also enjoyed her first sail.


Crew.

He seemed to be the captain.


Crew.

Downwind and with the strong incoming tide. Hold on!


I took the sheet and there is a lot of power on the sail. It took more strength than what I had to hold her steady.



These boats are really narrow. The hulls are made of local mahogany. The decorations and mast  are made of hibiscus and the woven side areas are made from mangrove.





This was great. Next I want to paddle a canoe.


 
And the water is really warm!

1 comment: