Wednesday, November 5, 2014

11.05.14 Beautiful sunset

The cyclone Nuri has now passed north and west of us and is no longer a weather factor. So it is back to hot and humid. Did I mention humid? Very humid.

We finished the document on Ebola Preparedness for the hospital and I am happy to turn it over to the hospital administers. They will meet with the cabinet next week - I will attend as I am very interested in how the politicians will handle some of the needs of the hospital to provide adequate care without jeopardizing the staff. The isolation of the island works against us here - if we need supplies there is no quick way to get them - unless the US Air Force in Guam would air drop them for us. I did suggest a reciprocal agreement with Guam and Palau for supplies in the event of any disaster that consumes supplies. And we learned that we cannot perform a blood transfusion if the Ebola patient should require one. Let's hope this ouotbreak is contained quickly to keep the world safe.

We also had training today - I taught the Public Health staff how to don and doff personal protective equipment. They now have the responsibility to teach all of the other workers in the hospital. Everyone must learn how to put on these items.

For some reason I have started to name the dogs. There is Chocolate, who loves TJ treats. Then there is Blondie who got some sausages. Shorty is the black and white dog that came up to me and wanted his head rubbed. Today I met Cooper, a beautiful dog with a gorgeous white stripe along the underside of his tail. He didn't get any treats as he looks well fed.

This is Daniel a good sport. After I demonstrated donning and doffing PPE, he was next as reinforcement of the concepts.


Cooper. He's a good looking dog.






Most afternoons I find these kids playing a game similar to jacks, but using pebbles and catching them on the backs of their hands. They were hain g a great time.




 
Practice, practice, practice.


We almost had to book an outer island trip for training and immunizations on the canoe festival. When asked if I could be ready to leave on Monday my only reply was to whisper "That is the canoe festival." I have been counting down the days since I first arrived - I was wondering how I would feel to miss it. Now we are leaving next Friday (maybe) if the Chief approves.


The colors tonight were spectacular.


An outrigger.




My seaside villa for at least one more month. The corner windows are my apartment, looking across the road to the lagoon I can see the outriggers sailing and then run over to the bridge to watch them.
The Peace Corps Country Director and Regional Director were on island this week. During our group meeting with the hospital administration, the CEO brought up living accomodations but requested a private discussion. I was relieved not to have this discussed in front of me. There is really no place for them to move me and the hospital cannot afford the rent where I am. There is no place in town that would accept rent as low as the hospital wants to pay. And we are not allowed to drive a car in the PC, so that limits accessibility to things we need as a professionals working at the hospital. I've checked a few places and there really is nothing at this time, even being creative. So I have decided to enjoy this place as much as possible - just in case I need to pull out that tent and pitch it on the front lawn of the hospital! If I had to take a sea bath at least the water is really warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment